or Connect

Posts by thomas0831

Thanks for  your thoughts on this. I love to hear other people's opinions and see how they reason.   According to some research I've done and reading the work of some early historians, it seems as though the "early church" (4th century)  had strayed considerably from what the 1st century Christians did/thought. .... I found one of the quotes I was looking for in that book by Jason BeDuhn. I didn't find the one about the NAB, but I remember it was something to effect...
  I have to agree with you; an accurate translation doesn't mean one has an accurate doctrine. But I think it's a good start! One reason is that many doctrines are not fully based on the Bible, but also church tradition.  If I were searching for what the Bible really teaches, I think I'd want to start with a Bible in my own language that most accurately reflected the words used in the orginal Hebrew, Aramaic, & Greek.  Now I may reach another conclusion than the next...
that's so true, Purple Sage.  I read in one of the reviews the reason he gave for thinking why those two groups, yet vastly different, were able to come up with a fairly accurate translation. If I had it in front of me, I'd quote it.  Anyway, it looks like most reviews state he's unbiased and logical in his delivery...and that's exactly what I'm looking for --logic.  I can't wait to get my hands on it.
That's good you are searching for an accurate bible to read.  As I'm sure you know, many Bibles have their own bias to them.  A book that was recommended to me (which i have yet to read, but I know it got great reviews) is Jason BeDuhn's "Truth in Translation:Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament."  This professor compares 9 major translations (only the New Testament) and shows why some are more poorly translated than others. He takes a hit at...