or Connect

Posts by Treasuremapper

Our 8 year old daughters is 2e, Asperger's and gifted.  About two years ago, she read most of the Animorphs series. The school librarian said that she is the only student in the school who checks out Animorphs, with a few individual exceptions here and there as other kids want to check out the books with her encouragement.    Our daughter has read most of the books over and over again, but there are a few she will not read.  She has read Harry Potter volumes 1-5 over...
Taximom, your story really struck a nerve with me.  In terms of what services are needed -- I would like some third party to check and audit the school to make sure the school is following my child's IEP.  I am tired of stalking the playground with weak excuses just to make sure she really is playing with other kids instead of sitting on the ground by herself. 
Mom2happy, I would love to get to know you in real life.   My daughter will be turning nine in just a few weeks.  She has similar behavior at times, similar poignancy, intelligence, and diagnoses.    I found the melatonin suggested in these forums was very helpful in reducing, but not eliminating, her meltdowns.   There are such great suggestions in this thread that I am printing it out. 
Nerdmomma, Cynthias, and Lollybrat, thank you. We are using source naturals orange sublinguals.  Linda, I will look into CBT, that is a good idea.  Cynthias, we are just about to start with a third nutritionist who is recommended by her endocrinologist, so we are going to try some nutritional approaches, including GFCF. Now that you mention it, the art teacher did give out candy and treats during class!
I want to report back about melatonin.  First, Welshman, thank you for sharing your son's similar experience. Some day, we will have a clearer understanding about what is going on with Asperger's diagnoses, and all of this will make sense.   Two weeks into melatonin, and I have to say, it has changed our lives.  My husband is a self-diagnosed aspie, and he was keeping me up all night long, waking up at least three or four times a night.   That, plus our aspie...
.    One last thought -- once all the tangles are out, using my globs of conditioner along with chewing gum and TV technique, see if she will agree to one long feminine braid at night, and to keep it braided as much as possible.  She might agree to that, and at least you could avoid being cited for child neglect. 
My fear of CPS is the only thing that motivates me to brush and groom my daughter's hair.  She hates it so much, and screams and sobs. My husband will not even try it.  We worked with her OT on this for a few months.    However, I have found some things that really help --   having her chew gum and watch TV during hair brushing, start at the bottom and work up in tiny sections    Globbing on TONS of conditioner during hair washing, combing it through and then...
It didn't seem that odd at the time, but my husband I used to spell words to each other to keep the kids from knowing what we were saying. I have our daughter on tape catching on and knowing the words we were spelling in a conversation when she was 17 months old, still a toddler running around with curly hair in a diaper.  Another time when she was late three or early four, we were at the library and she was outraged by a sign on the wall and threw a fit about what it...
Thank you so much.  Earthroots, I also appreciate the adult gifted aspie perspective.   That is soothing.  Tjej, no, she has not had counseling. When she was first diagnosed, we went and talked with a counselor, who had a private interview with her and stated that she did not need counseling. OTOH, she has had a lot of PT, ST, and OT.  So perhaps they mentioned it in one of those places, or perhaps she came up with it herself.    She actually illustrated it by taking...
That is a big compliment.   If autism does not feel right, look at the list for the the diagnoses that will qualify for special education services and see which one, if any, fit. Our dd was diagnosed with autism (asperger syndrome) - yeah, that's how they put it on the school paperwork.  It may not be the correct diagnosis, and I often worry whether OHI, or other health impairment, would be a better fit.