or Connect

Posts by Treasuremapper

What were the diet changes? Or are they detailed in another thread. That sounds like incredible progress.
http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/child.find.mandate.htm   " Who is Covered by Child Find? Schools are required to locate, identify and evaluate all children with disabilities from birth through age 21. The Child Find mandate applies to all children who reside within a State, including children who attend private schools and public schools, highly mobile children, migrant children, homeless children, and children who are wards of the state. (20 U.S.C....
You have received some great advice.  Definitely contact ECI through the DARS website link above.   Another good place to start, since school is out for the summer, is to contact Houston ISD's special education office. Go to http://www.wrightslaw.com and read up on the school district's responsibilty under child find.   You are such a smart mom to be looking for resources so early. 
A few weeks ago our 8 year old daughter started to have a "night train" of thoughts and images, small videos, occasional math equations, and so forth, become so intense that it is hard for her to sleep. She said, and I am quoting her, that her "computer is going through past events and thoughts to find material for dreams" and that she cannot stop her brain from making this search until it is complete, which makes it hard to sleep.    For the third time this week,...
I think it is time to move.   This eleven year old boy is just going to get older and meaner. There are lots of wonderful homes with good neighbors. Find one of them and don't look back. 
Thank you so much for your advice.
A few days ago, I had a startling revelation. It may seem that we are having lots of little problems, but in fact, there is one big underlying problem -- the public school makes decisions that are neutral on their face that have a huge impact on our daughter with autism. They have three times the rate of autistic kids you would expect in the general population, because they have a local reputation for being good for kids with disabilities. And overall, they are.   It...
Hi!  I could have written your post. Our daughter was seven years old when she was diagnosed with Asperger's.  She was the same exact child before and after her diagnosis.  After a period of shock, I found myself appreciating the label and diagnosis.  So I can imagine what you are experiencing, if it is anything similar to my own experience.  I will share my daughter's story with you, not to take the thread away but to illustrate the silver lining in our...
Our seven year old daughter was just diagnosed with developmental coordination disorder and "mild" Asperger's syndrome.   I am not concerned with the Asperger's syndrome right now, since it doesn't just run in the family, it practically gallops.  I think it would not have been diagnosed as mild except for the fact that she has had so much targeted therapy and social skills training.   But I am terribly concerned about her developmental coordination disorder. She...
One of my friends has a grandson who was born about six weeks early. He is now about five months old and he has RSV. She is going to take care of him for a couple of days so that her daughter can go to work.     What can I do to support my friend and her daughter so they can care for this sweet baby boy?