or Connect

Posts by jbk21

The scoby floats around, that part isnt a big deal. Whether it sinks or floats has more to do with CO2. Anyway, cloudy means the yeasts arent sinking. It is fine to drink as long as the smell isnt off and there isnt mold. You can do a two step bottling system to get the yeast to sink if you want it more clear.
I wish my husband would walk in from work and say "What do you need me to do?" Or, that he would be able to look around and assess the situation, prioritize what needs done first, and do it.  Ha!    
All I have to say is October weddings are the best. 
  I don't know much about Gerson therapy but I have two thoughts: 1. coffee enemas freak me out, and it seems there are more negative side effects than positive from their use and 2. I think any diet high in vegetables and fruits, healthy grains and nuts, and sources of non-animal protein will detoxify the body.  Obviously that has positive effects on the body and its ability to fight disease.  That's all I can say with confidence :-)   I absolutely agree with your...
Joanie I think dysthymia is a whole different animal.  I mean, it's chronic.  Obviously it would require lifelong treatment, but I can find sources for more acute cases if you'd still be interested in looking at them.  I should have been more clear- it can't ALWAYS require drugs forever.  As far as pregnancy, I know a lot of mothers who have taken anti-d's during pregnancy with no ill effects. I understand the concern, and I think you should be in close contact with a...
Also, nobody said those disorders were a deficiency of pharmaceutical drugs. That statement shows a serious lack of understanding of neuropsychology. It also smacks of superiority for those of us who use medications for any reason, mental or physical.
Like I said, I am a long way from a tinfoil hat.
I also want to insert my two cents about mental illness and medication.  There are many, many diseases, disorders, illnesses, what-have-you that require daily medications.  For instance, I am at high-risk for diabetes and thyroid disease because of family history.  Obviously I try to prevent diabetes through diet and exercise, but sometimes genetics win.  If i had thyroid disease and had to take medication for the rest of my life, I wouldn't think twice about it.  Diet...
I just caught up fully on the rest of the posts-  Anthia, I am curious about the saturated fats issue you referred to   I totally agree re: science being sold but I think as a former scientist you can appreciate research methodology, yes?  I am under no illusion that Big Pharma and the FDA are innocent.  Haha!  But I also have a long way to go before I put on my tinfoil hat, you know? My thoughts on nutrition are the same as Jaimee stated.  Moderation but mostly...
Anthia I think that mental illness needs to be treated by a trained and licensed psychologist or psychiatrist.  I don't think it is necessary to jump right to pharmaceuticals- there are a lot of different, more natural, ways to treat depression specifically (though bipolar and other disorders are more complicated).  That said, veganism is about avoiding animal products when practical.  I think mental illness is serious enough that although it is very sad to me that...