or Connect

Posts by Collinsky

Thanks for all the replies - I did do an online calculator once I got an accurate height for him, and it says 5' 2"... which isn't tall but isn't very worrisome to me.    Our caregiver isn't worried, as his growth follows the normal curve exactly (it's just way under it LOL). He's growing adequately, and actually has managed to stay slightly taller than his little brother, even though for the last couple years it's looked like he was going to overtake him in height....
I just heard that traces of arsenic can be left on wool; I can't seem to find much info about that though. Does anyone else know anything about that? Also, are there any other heavy metals that are likely to have been used in the processing of wool that should be tested for?   Thanks!
Hmmm... perhaps "bedtime routine" is the wrong phrase? I'm more interested in hearing about less conventional approaches to bedtime routines. The bath-book-bed thing has never worked well for us. We've got our own lackadaisical thing going on, and as long as I'm not trying to get kids to sleep before 11 PM, it's all good. However, I'm feeling that since my last pregnancy and the baby's birth, we're not enjoying bedtime as much as we could, and I'd like to reinvigorate...
My Ds is 4.5 this month... he's always been a peanut, and I was okay with it until I realized he's going to be 5 in half a year. FIVE. He's the same size as my 2.5 year old, who is average sized for his age. (Same weight, to within a couple ounces, and the 4 yo is about an inch and a half taller... so there is that...) Dh and I are both short (5' and 5'5" respectively); both grandmothers are my height, both grandfathers are Dh's height. I'm not expecting him to be tall....
I have a family of night owls... myself included. And my husband (who works third shift, so he's set LOL). If left to our own devices, every one of us would choose a bedtime between midnight and 2 or 3 AM, and a wake up time of around 10 AM to noon. That's our natural inclination, and honestly the way we function the best. It might be my imagination, but it seems that most "bedtime routine" advice - and in the 7.5 years since I had my firstborn, I've read a lot of that...
I have initiated night weaning each time, with varying degrees of crying. The plan is, if my toddler wakes and is fussy crying, then I make sure they have something to drink, I hold them and cuddle them, and comfort them back to sleep. If they were actually CRYING, and drinks and cuddles and soft singing and rocking were not helping, then I nursed them, and chalked it up to them not being quite ready. If it's a bad time, it's a bad time. And I tried again a little later....
All my kids (so far) have continued to cosleep full-time for about 2-3 years after they stopped nursing at night. Dh works nights, so I was on my own for most night weaning; if you have a partner at home nights to help out during the transition, that's helpful. Removing your breasts from the scene during nightweaning is good if you can manage it! It's still doable if you're on your own, but you definitely have to set yourself up for less rest for three or four nights.
This is kind of a spin-off of the "true natural cure" thread. For those who are taking (or have looked into taking) amino acids, what dosages did you take while breastfeeding? Were you able to find any info on that? I'm taking tryptophan (because the Mood Cure book said to take that instead of 5-HTP if you're bfing), tyrosine, and theanine. I started taking them yesterday, and I'm still figuring out how much to take and when to take it. I'm already in love with...
Quote: Originally Posted by anielasmommy09 ok so it IS SAFE while BFing to take inositol and 5-htp correct? I don't know about inositol... but the Mood Cure says if you're bfing to take tryptophan instead of 5-HTP. (Tryptophan converts to 5-HTP.)
gah, I just posted a long reply to this, and it disappeared into the ether! Anyway, long story short, with my little ones, I told them that there was blood inside that helped the baby be healthy while it was in my belly, and then when the baby came out it didn't need the blood any more, so it came out too. I said it was "healthy blood" and made sure that they knew it wasn't blood from a hurt. For the noises, I told them that sometimes mamas make STRONG noises when...