or Connect

Posts by blackannis

DS had his 24-month check-up last week, and during the check-up, the nurse practitioner who is his main care provider was very disturbed that his foreskin didn't retract at all. I was a bit puzzled at her unease, because nothing I'd read about intact penises indicated that they should be retracting at all at this age, and because DS has absolutely no problems with his penis or with peeing. After the appointment, I came back and checked my facts, and lo and behold (as you...
It sounds like you've got some good support starting already--yay! Personally, I didn't have much trouble with breastfeeding once my milk came in, but the first night before my milk came in was frustrating and a bit daunting. My son wanted to try to nurse all night, and he cried every time I tried to put him in his bassinet. I was so tired that I was about to cry to. I ended up just propping myself and him up carefully and dozing while he kept working away most of the...
Funny how half of attachment parenting seems to be figuring out what limits to set, isn't it? We're still doing really well with the weaning, though I think we both miss it. If I snuggle DS down to bed, he'll pat my chest and say, "Bo?" in a hopeful way, but when I say no, he just snuggles closer--no temper tantrums anymore. I guess maybe he was ready anyways . . . I do miss nursing a bit, though. Ohwell.
So, to update: it's actually going extremely well, and to judge from my son's response, is exactly what he needed. Daddy's been putting him to bed at night by lying down in our bed and snuggling, which is our norm. Then DS gets transferred, asleep, to his own bed. He wakes up partway through the night to join us, asks to nurse, pouts or tantrums very briefly (less than 2 minutes) when he's told no, and then cuddles up to me (or on me) to go back to sleep. He doesn't even...
Yes, we have been working with painkillers when we're sure that he's having teething problems--he makes it pretty clear by being excessively clingy and crabby. We've also all been sick for the past week, and it's being prolonged by lack of sleep. The thing that makes me pretty certain that he doesn't really need to nurse is that if I leave (and only if I leave), he'll go to sleep just fine cuddling his dad, and there's definitely no nursing there! He also is sometimes...
Ugh, you've got my sympathy, particularly on the meltdowns. My DS tends to only want to nurse when he's tired, but if I try to tell him no, we get a huge tantrum. Since this generally happen at home, we usually let him just go through it, though this has been causing some conflict recently and I'm starting to wonder if perhaps sometimes children give us negative signs that it's time to wean (see thread I just posted for more on this).
So I always saw child-led weaning as a fairly peaceful process of the child in question gradually cutting back on his/her own and eventually just stopping altogether. This morning, though, I started to wonder if sometimes we'll get other signs that aren't so peaceful.   Here's the issue. For the past nine months, my son has gradually been decreasing his nursing; for several months we've been down to sleep-time only nursing (before naps, bed, after waking up, etc.),...
Pastured meat from mixed-herd farms (ones that run more than one kind of animal) is much more sustainable than "normal" meat and, given what I know about them, much more sustainable than conventionally grown vegetable diets. Go look at Metasequoia's link--Joel Salatin is one of the founding movers in the rebirth of this style of agriculture.   Okay . . . so I'm not doing this--yet--but . . . are whole grains really out? Totally? A fair amount of our family diet is mostly...
I'd definitely get the bed rail so that she's only by one of you--that's what we ended up doing with our son, and it worked just fine. He also has a thing for sleeping flat, even now (he's 22 months), and will wiggle off my arm or pillows or anything else, or conversely, try to climb completely up onto them!
Ooooh, I like this one--I think I'll try it with our next one. I just used prefold diapers under my son when he was smaller, though--we had plenty on hand, and they absorb like nothing else!