or Connect

Posts by tjames

Fatigue is some of the problem.  Tristan has to be at school by 7:30, so he gets up at 6:30.  He goes to bed at 6:30 at night because he still sleeps 11+ hours a night and he takes a long time to settle.  He's also supposed to eat every 2 hours and his teacher has finally started working with me on this because hunger was a big issue for him.    The problem is that his stressed behavior is getting him in trouble at school.  The more stressed he is, the louder he...
A month ago, my son started a four-year-old kindergarten program at a public elementary school.  He says he likes school, he's always eager to go, and he says he loves his teacher.  But he's showing signs of extreme distress - having nightmares, talking in his sleep, chewing on his clothes constantly (he has never chewed anything, even when he was teething), spinning frantically, laughing maniacally, sucking his fingers (something he's also never done before),...
Thanks.  That's really helpful.
I don't actually embrace roles or a look that are traditionally masculine.  My work and interests are stereotypically female and my clothing is similar to that of other women I work with.  I'm not advocating gender roles, I'm just saying that being a lesbian doesn't mean I'm masculine.  And my fear isn't so much that my son is gay, as that he'll be (and to some extent has been) harassed or teased by adults who think he should be more masculine.  I knew a young man who...
But I'm also a developmental psychologist and have studied gender and sexuality.  Gender is a social construct, but it is based on sex, which is not.  The research shows that there are biological differences between the sexes, whether we want to admit it or not.  Even baby boy monkeys prefer playing with cars and baby girl monkeys prefer baby dolls. Boys who have had their sex changed to female at birth still play in a masculine way and prefer "boy" toys. 
My son is almost three and has always been very feminine.  It's not just that he plays with dolls and wants to wear princess dresses.  He has always been more social than spacial.  When he builds a tower out of Duplos, he puts a head, arms and legs on it.  He sometimes plays with toy cars, but they have conversations with each other and he wraps them in blankets and rocks them to sleep.  Someone suggested that he has more feminine behavior because he's the only child of...