or Connect

Posts by jdsf

Yeah, we are always pro-"anything above a C" and she knows we would be proud even if she got all B's. Even if she got a C, it's not like she would get punished or anything. She is the one who is hardest on herself, and we prepared her for the fact that she might make a few B's at this school before she even started. Once she enters her junior year, she will have the option to take some classes virtually via the junior college, so getting up later is an option down the...
DP and I were both 11 when we got our periods, the end of summer before 6th grade. DD1 got hers at 11.5, again, right before 6th grade. DD2 is 12 and in 6th grade and will probably start before she hits 12.5. I got my first bra in 4th grade, training, but none of my other friends had them yet and were totally jealous. I remember one of my best friends in 6th grade mortifying me in front of her father by declaring how life was so unfair and I got mine first (she was a total...
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, we live in the country so public transportation isn't an option, and she would need to be different places a couple of days of the week to make this work. Both DP and I cannot provide transportation after 7:30 am until the end of the work day. We have a couple of friends with older teens who homeschool, and this is the major issue... For her to get what she needs, she needs to go to the homeschooling co-op or junior college during...
Hello, I'm new to this particular forum since my kids have been in public school for a while, but my older DD has been mentioning wanting to go back to homeschooling lately. I tried to get to the root of it, and her main reasons were "because it's easy" and she doesn't like waking up at 6:20 in the morning. I can understand that being a freshman at an academically advanced, highly ranked, very competitive public high school (like if "Fame" we're set at an engineering high...
Clearly this is a touchy subject here! Sorry for the negative responses you've been receiving. Anyway, as a partner to someone who was always very thin and had to be careful she was not underweight during pregnancy, I know that skinny bashing and fat phobia can be equally distressing. DP also had a rather unhealthy diet into her early twenties since she could just eat whatever she wanted whenever, and also had to learn about healthy food and eating habits, mostly during...
She "was" beautiful... But now she's not? Because she plays Warcraft? Or because she gained weight? I'm confused. Anyway, she sounds like my brother, who is 32 and has never held down any job longer than 6 months, and has never been financially independent. I am younger, and while not well to do, way more financially solvent than he's ever been. Both my mother and I agree that he is mentally ill, but he is way too left to "buy into Western medicine" or whatever his...
I would disagree that 5'5" and 147 is reason enough to make an issue about her weight. Girls at this age are so super sensitive about their bodies, and while that puts her BMI right on the cusp of healthy/overweight, the psychological implications of being told you're fat by a relative, especially your mother, at 14 will do nothing but guarantee a weight problem. Cheez it's and Chef Boyardee are not good snacks for a child with such a sedentary lifestyle, however. I...
I don't have a whole lot of advice to offer as my 9th grade DD is kind of a nerd and gets bummed out when she makes a B, but she does have a handful of friends who sound like your DD - they were in Gifted with her in middle school, and now they're flunking out all of a sudden. I really do think it has to do with A) being bored and not feeling like what's being taught in class is relevant or interesting, and B) they really don't, at this age, care what happens in the future...
Even though DP and I disagree with the idea of young teens wearing makeup, we gave in when we realized it was a losing battle. DP remembered how she would sneak makeup to school and put it on in the bathroom, never having learned how to properly apply eyeshadow or foundation and ended up looking like a clown until she got the hang of it. So, we figured we might as well give them the tools they need to look appropriate for their age, and good makeup makes a huge difference....
My DD 15 started pestering us around 11, the summer before middle school. She is also blonde/blue and didn't need to shave, but felt weird about her armpits mostly. So, we taught her how to do that at 11. Well, when 12 started to roll around, the legs became an issue because "everyone else was doing it". So we side, fine, you can shave your legs when you research the history of leg shaving in Western cultures and write a 1 page essay on it. It was a good essay and proved...