or Connect

Posts by jdsf

I have 2 DDs who are both basically hipsters. My aunt loves to bargain hunt and often finds designer items in DD14's size, so she has quite a wardrobe of "nice" clothes, dresses and skirts, to wear. They aren't long enough to wear to school, however, so the pants become an issue. She probably has a dozen pair right now, but only half actually fit her, she is either too tall or has outgrown the others entirely. Part of her "summer jobs" includes purging at least 25% of...
Ok, so after all is said and done, she ended up wearing some dance shorts that are essentially swimsuit bottoms and her bikini top with a tank top over it. The tankini top was too big and the next size down too short. She is way too lanky to wear a one piece, if it fits her in length, it's too baggy. She has friends in the same situation, so they all just wear shirts, I guess they don't like to wear rashguards because they aren't tight enough or cute enough to fit their...
Is there a food bank or an animal shelter in your area? They often have great volunteer opportunities for teens and a lot of the work is fun. I know teens who get to feed tiny kittens or load care packages of food and dry goods for shelters, and they love it. They really feel like they're helping out, while working with other people of different backgrounds and really get a sense of "the big picture" outside the trials and tribulations of adolescence. I feel like my...
We clean as a family a couple of times a week, so she knows what actual cleaning entails. We have filing cabinets to organize papers in, it's just there's usually a stack (or two) of things we have out specifically to use in the near future (a bill that needs to get paid, papers to go back to school, etc) on top of the cabinet. This seems like a reasonable system for use, and it works for us. She is generally the last person who has anything in this stack, since she's in...
They are actually 10/11 and my DD is the most developed of them all, but still barely. A lot of kids who go to this school are low income and I'm guessing other parents wouldn't be able to go out and buy a new swimsuit, either. It seems very classist to expect parents to buy something for this event when it's unnecessary AND they can wear their two pieces at school the next day for water day.
Yes, and that's why I'm so concerned. She doesn't see what she's doing as abnormal, at all, she thinks we're the abnormal ones. If she knew she was taking it a little far, I would certainly have assumed it was a phase. It's just the severity and the fact that she doesn't see the problem.  
Oh, I wasn't saying they shouldn't wear speedos. I said "thong speedos". No reason you need your ass hanging out to swim faster.  
Thanks for the responses.   The swimsuit she bought was separates and there is a tankini top that match the bottoms, so we may go that route even though she still isn't too into the idea.   The other option is I can just take her out of school early and bring her separately, which seems like kind of a d-bag move, but I don't want to spend $15 on another piece of clothing when she's growing really quickly and will likely need another swimsuit in a few months (and...
Oh, and I also use almond butter/milk from time to time, marginally healthier.
The smoothie recipe is pretty standard, you can add or subtract things as you like. We either do banana, peanut butter, milk, chocolate syrup which is similar to the "peanut butter mood" at jamba juice or we do banana, berry, milk, vanilla protein powder (about a heaping teaspoon, any more and it "ruins the flavor" for her, lol), and peanut butter. blueberries or strawberries are good, I like mixed berries but then it has a lot of seeds. The protein powder comes in the...