or Connect

Posts by SweetSilver

Those are all good skills to learn, but not what we believe is the most important, isn't it?  I'm glad to "meet" you and look forward to hearing not just about your boys but your continuing efforts to unschool yourself.  The Yukon-- WOW!  That seems so exotic to this "southerner"!  There was a time mid-20's that I would have liked nothing more than to move myself up there.  But I like my gentle seasons and I have developed a comfortable layer of moss under my arms and...
These are on you tube:   http://www.youtube.com/user/AlanWattsLectures   Are these what you mean?  I haven't seen them.  I'll be looking forward to it.
Enjoying the motivation my girls are showing.  We are still trying recipes from her book, today peanut butter bears, last week tamari glazed drumsticks.  I can roll up my sleeves and really use my experience to help out and guide where necessary, but mostly I'm just asking them questions: do we have what we need?  What can help with?   But the other interest is not so easy.  I took the girls to a fish-in sponsored by Fish and Wildlife, the parks department and Cabella's....
Isn't it amazing?  This is often why parents send their kids to school, because other people can get kids to participate in things that they can't.  And I do refer to voluntary things.  DD2 is a more adventurous eater away from me.  That kind of thing.  We notice that with disciplinary things, kids comply more readily to non-parents and resist more with parents, but does that explain the more playful things, like trying new foods of games? It's amazing that even with...
 No spend -- hoping for 3 no-spends every week.  Frugal spending   Meh.  Could have been worse.   Overspent   Unavoidable, unexpected, necessary.  Grrrrr.......   4/12   4/13   4/14     4/15   4/16   4/17   4/18     Whoa.  Look at that week!  Yikes!
 Way to go!
Not something you don't want to do, but what you might not choose for yourself in the moment.  When I was in Aikido, I trained once a week at the very least.  I loved Aikido.  Ideally I wanted to train 3 times a week and my progress would have been so much faster.  Yes, there was a blackbelt goal in there.  But what happened, since I was in charge of getting myself to class (or staying for class as the case may be--see below) and it didn't really matter to anybody if I...
So, where does "rhythm" end and "structure" begin?  Because "skiing on Friday" might be very rhythmic, if it happens with regularity.  Bedtime can be a rhythm, or it can be a structure.  We have a bedtime rhythm, but I feel it is very much structured.  "We will start now.  You will complete A, B, and C.  You will comply."   Is there a real difference between the two, or are we making semantic choices that aren't based in something real.     I would begin by arguing...
 No spend -- hoping for 3 no-spends every week.  Frugal spending   Meh.  Could have been worse.   Overspent   Unavoidable, unexpected, necessary.  Grrrrr.......   4/12   4/13   4/14     4/15   4/16   4/17     Spent a lot recently on easter, car repair, LIBRARY FINES, restaurants, children's museum.  The greenie face came from the library fines more than anything, 20.00 for the family and I got off cheap this time.
Getting a chuckle.  I was raised (11yo onward) on SNL news.  At first it was the 5pm reruns* of the original series ("This breaking news from Chevy Chase.  Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!"), then it was the current shows through the 80's.  I started staying up that late around 13-14yo.   *Thank you to the Carson TV folks (Channel 5, Las Vegas) who had the guts to play it, uncut, for your family viewing pleasure!