or Connect

Posts by shrinkmama

pilesolaundry You are the mother and you know your son best. If you think there is a problem there probably is. I would definitely take him to a good pediatric neuropsychologist first, but also explore dietary and environmental ways to help him. You might consider seeing a naturopath that can make recommendations on dietary changes. You might also take him to an allergist and see if he has any allergies. I think there can be a lot of causes and ways to handle your son if...
JaneS My point was not to discredit the research you have done and that others are doing. Perhaps it was motivated by the fact that I come from a long line of physicians, microbiologists, researchers, etc. and having been involved in NIH funded studies, it's difficult for me to vilify the organization and the vast majority of researchers that are out there. There will always be people in private and public agencies that are out for their own good and not the common good,...
JaneS I agree that drug companies and other for profit corporations are probably pretty biased. However, they are privately funded not publicly funded. Also, the CARD is run by families of people with autism. Don't you think they'd be the first people willing to go out on a limb and look for all the possibilities? All these entities you are referring to are all run by people. Including the government which is your government and includes you. When you start putting a face...
JaneS, Why do you think the NIH is a bad guy? The NIH funds a lot of research, but the research is done by researchers in private universities or hospitals. Generally, researchers apply for NIH grants. There is meticulous recording in how the funds are spent, but never has the NIH asked a researcher to report only certain findings. All findings must be reported. I've been involved in such research in the area of dyslexia and I have to say with NIH funding and people like...
I actually work with autistic children and children with other PDD. I find it interesting that the Center for Autism and other major Autism organizations are more trepidatious when proclaiming a direct link between vax and autism. If the major autism research organizations have not accept the evidence as conclusive why are so many other people? If you read the information on those sites you will see that there is strong evidence of a genetic cause for autism. Maybe it's...
Piglet, I've read through a few different threads and I was thinking, Umm she's pretty opinionated. I have a feeling if we were all discussing things face to face it would be so much easier. We miss so much of conversation without being able to clarify ourselves or being able to read body language and facial expressions. I've had successes and failures with AP. I think it's a terrific philosophy and one that should be spread, but I don't think we should expect every...
Hi all, I'm new to MDC and have just read this thread. Very interesting. It seems every mother is genuinely trying to find the best way to explain a very complex subject. I have thought of all the same questions you all have. I have a three year old now who keeps asking for a brother. I'll add in "or sister." Today he said he really wanted a brother and not a sister. I told him that we couldn't choose. That we didn't know what we would get. He just couldn't understand this...
Let me start by saying that I'm new to MDC. I had never heard of continuum concept until just today. I clicked on the website mentioned and read the tenets of the concept. I already do all of that and had no idea it was a "concept". It's what felt right. We did hold our son a lot in the early months and he was co-sleeper from the get-go. We tended to his needs and I really believe that babies cry for a reason and it's important to find out what they need and take care of...
Talk about feeling like the only one. I really love the philosophy of AP, but many of the women involved are nazis about the whole thing. First, let me say I couldn't breast feed b/c I had a radical double mastectomy when I was 28. Breast cancer that almost but didn't kill me. So what looks real are really falsies, but as soon as I whip out a bottle the AP moms won't even give me the time of day. I feel like I have to introduce myself, "Hi, I really like AP but I had a...