or Connect

Posts by littleheartsbks

I am APing baby #6 (ages 23 yrs, 21 yrs, 16 yrs, 12 yrs, 5 yrs, and 12 months). There wasn't a name for my parenting style--co-sleeping, babywearing, no cio, extended breastfeeding, positive discipline, homeschooling, and (yes, lol) sitting in the backseat so my babies didn't cry--that I was aware of at the time. So I came up with my own name to explain it when asked--Gentle Parenting. Many years later, I heard of Attachment Parenting and realized it was very similar...
It's pretty normal for babies around that age to start developing 'outside interests.' In other words, interests beyond eating, sleeping and cuddling. Helping them to safely engage with the world starts at that stage, and that can be quite challenging! A drastic change in temperament like you've described, though, is a bit more than one would expect, so my guess would be the onset of teething. Even with no tooth-buds evident, his sensitivity and outbursts sound like he's...
So true! Hitting out of frustration and/or stress is perfectly natural for babies and toddlers. Of course, that doesn't make it acceptable or easy to deal with! With my little ones, I respond to hitting, scratching, pinching, etc with gently holding the 'offending' hand and calmly and firmly saying 'no' and then placing a distracting item in the same hand. It takes many repetitions, but my self-control and lack of over-reaction models the behavior I desire from...
Not all children respond to time outs, so don't feel guilty that they aren't working for you. But responding to violence (your son hitting) with violence (hitting your son) reinforces the negative behavior instead of discouraging it. The most importan step to take is to identify what is sparking the violence. Take a close look at the circumstances surrounding the behavior. For example, is it usually around the same time of day? Is it usually over the same issue or toy?...
I have six children, and some of them have adjusted to a new sibling better than others. Here are a couple of suggestions: 1) You are not superhuman, so give yourself (and, by extention, your little guy) a break! Take the pressure off and go ahead and put him in pullups or diapers until he expresses an interest all by himself to resume the potty. When it is no longer a battle, the motivation to fight you is gone and the issue will resolve itself. 2) Put up all of the...