or Connect

Posts by I Love My Boy

We got ours from TJ's The Kiddie Store. We cosleep in bed and I thought it would be a good place for naps but it ended up just getting full of diapers and things I needed handy at night time :-) I eventually moved it out of our room all together and I may never end up using it at all since our 3 1/2 yo ds is still in bed with us too. It's crowded but cozy! I'm in Victoria, where are you? I've been considering selling it but haven't decided for sure yet.
The Featured Article on the home page says, "Language About Labor - Consider the connotations of "contract" and consider what a woman's body and soul do to birth her baby" It went on to discuss how the ideas behind certain words can change the way we perceive them, and ultimately the author chooses to use the word "surge" rather than the word "contraction" with her students. I like that choice of words, but when I first read that blurb I was so excited to...
Ok, so this never happened during the entire 2 3/4 years that I nursed DS. My 2 mo old DD is a great nurser, already gained 7.5 lbs, and we both fell easily into our bf relationship. I feel like we nurse from both sides equally but over the last couple of days I've noticed that my left breast is significantly larger than my right - a full cup size probably! Or, I should say my right side has gotten smaller, it's not like I'm swelling. Is this common? It's noticeable...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommycaroline My response? "Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm smothering him right here in the middle of the grocery store for all the world to see." That's INSANE. It reminds me of something that made me laugh though. I was in an upscale baby store and an eldery man, probably a grandpa, was looking for a small child's pillow. He found one and, walking past me, held the pillow out in front of him horizontally...
Oh the ignorance. It's boggling! I have had so many comments, nearly all from my inlaws, but these are the ones that really stick out: 1. FIL: "You change that kid's diaper WAY TOO OFTEN! Change it once every three hours, whether he needs it or not!" Ds was 4 months old at the time and I put him in a diaper when we went out. -- He still doesn't know that we were EC'ing and from that day on I let ds pee in his bathroom sink without rinsing. HA! 2. FIL's wife:...
What a great site!! I'm sitting here this morning reading all the wonderful stories but just had to take a quick break to thank you for this link. I'm starting to hope our midwife doesn't make it in time!
Hi to all you UC'ers here, We are planning our second home water-birth in the spring and though we have a midwife, we are concerned she may not get here in time - she said that since ds came so quickly, the second one may come in 1/2 hour to 45 minutes!! I'd like to know if any of you can recommend books and/or videos that would help me and dh prepare for what to do, and what things to have on hand if we end up doing this by ourselves. For some reason I can't...
Quote: Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama Maybe your ds would do better one-on-one if there was more of an age gap too. That's true, he does. He doesn't care much for younger kids because he preferes to play with somebody, but he loves older boys. We are probably going to homeschool but I have considered a mixed age Montessori setting as well, or perhaps some sort of combination of both.
Quote: Originally Posted by chel Try library story time, art classes, etc to find mild playmates. A playgym class was where dd found the other boy that she plays very well with. That's brilliant. I don't think that particular way of looking at creating a schedule for him had really hit me yet because he's just getting to the age where more diverse classes will be available. Up til now it's just been gymboree classes where all the kids do a...
Oh, thanks Catherine - we just cross posted. Yes, my boy really is bright, and from very early on we have been taken aback by his mature sense of humor. He's had a sense of irony since he was a baby! I still find it amazing And I read in the sensitivity book that that is one of the common traits. I am happy that ds is this way, and I know in the long run he's going to be a wonderful man. And I agree that the emotional support is so important. I hate the way I...