or Connect

Posts by SharonAnne

The beach. OMG I cannot stand bringing my kids to the beach. When I go to the beach, I want to jump in the waves, then lie on my chair under an umbrella for a couple hours, reading a book or magazine and sipping on something fruity. Not constantly scanning to make sure I can see both of them, not only going in up to my ankles because the little one is afraid of the waves and not, not, NOT!!!! playing in the sand!  I HATE playing in the sand. Even without actually playing...
Whenever I think about my mom breastfeeding me, I just take a moment to sit back in awe.  She had a really, REALLY rough labor and delivery with me. I ended up being a forceps baby, and she ended up being knocked out with some heavy meds.  She developed an infection, and couldn't even see me for 3 days till her fever broke. And it was 1976. Not exactly the breastfeeding epicenter of the 20th century.  But my mother was able to, despite all that, breastfeed me for about...
So, I recognize that this is probably not nearly as big a deal as most of the challenges being posted here, and, really, I have been blessed with two excellent nursers from day one. We've never had anything worse than a mild bout of mastitis and an even milder bout of thrush, and both of those were with my first baby, who is four now and no longer nurses. My challenges now are with my second daughter, who will be two in January. She's 22 months old and still nurses like...
My problem with no poo is that it washes the color out of my hair SO quickly (Yes, I color my hair. I use a vegetable based dye. I know, I know, I should just grow old gracefully. Eff that. : ) Any ideas on that?
My husband's grandmother is in the process of dying right now I wasn't sure if I wanted to bring my girls to the hospice to see her, and having to deal with the questions, but I ultimately decided that was selfish and the girls have been up to see her a few times, both with and without me. When my DD1 (4yo) asked me "When is great grandma going to go home?" we talked about death. I explained it much the same way that many of the pp's have. DD started to cry and told me...
OMG I AM WITH YOU! M2B, my 4yo DD is also full of drama. AND she's got the pushy disease, NM speaks of, as well. I want to sell her. I'm just afraid no one would buy. :
Totally doable. I pumped for both my kids when I woh. DD1 nursed for 26 months and only stopped because I was pregnant with DD2 and my milk dried up. DD2 is 20 months and still going strong. I tried to pump at times that they normally nursed when I was home with them. I made sure that they nursed well when we woke up in the morning, and then as soon as I got home, from work. WRT pumping away from the baby, it can be tricky to get a lot and tricky to get let down,...
Once DH understood my reasoning for wanting to do any particular thing, he got behind it. Sometimes it's rough, when his OMG SO MAINSTREAM dad makes a disparraging comment about some AP thing we're doing, and he doesn't defend it, but that's a very small issue in the grand scheme of things. But yeah, everything from homebirth, to not circing, to extended bfing, to cosleeping, and everything in between. As far as GD is concerned, neither of us ever wanted to hit our...
Thank you everyone for your input and ideas I'm so grateful for this community. (Hi, Li! I love it when we find each other's threads ) There's a lot of great ideas in here and OMG, this: Quote: Instead of necessarily thinking of her shyness as something that can be cured, maybe instead you could reframe it into "who she is" and think in terms of what environment she'd be most likely to thrive in. is probably exactly what I needed to hear! WRT...
: Well, no, actually. He thinks that teaching is a specialized profession and people spend years in college learning how to do it; what makes us think that we can teach our kids with none of that schooling. Like I said, it's kind of a flimsy argument and I'm sure I can talk him out of that attitude,at least for kindergarten. The socialization thing is ALL me : Quote: So...my question for you: Why homeschool? What do you want out of it? What do you want out...