or Connect

Posts by SharonAnne

My family and I all see a family practice DO. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I read Connection Parenting by Pam Leo and got a great phrase that we all use in my family. "Please talk to me like I'm someone you love." I told DD1 to say that to me when I yelled at her to remind me that I'm not acting lovingly towards her. It works the other way, as well. DH and I have even said it to each other when one of us is starting to get a little "testy" with the other.
I really just suck out loud at waiting for anything, and this is a big something, so I suck even worse at it. I need something to do. DH is at a job interview. We really, REALLY need him to get this job. He's been there for 45 minutes, so that's a good sign, right? Or maybe they just started late. : Someone talk to me before I go nuts waiting. :
My mom did that to me too. It sucks I think what you said above is perfect. "Wow! What a smart little boy!" "Yes, we think he's pretty special!" Of course, that could become a problem with other children...maybe it's not perfect.
I don't have a Basenji, but know quite a bit about them, because I'm kind of in love with them Melanie is totally right, in that they are SUPER smart, and need stimulation. I'd go so far as to say they need a "job". But, that doesn't necessarily need to be a deterrant, especially in your situation. It sounds like you guys will be able to take those wonderful long, tiring, walks with your basenji. (A tired dog is a good dog ) and I think you'd also get a huge benefit...
I dig Imagine, and might knit it up for my SIL. Her birthday is in November; I should be able to get it done by then, right? :
Slightly OT, but to the people who are afraid to leave their crockpots running during the day while they're out...do you also unplug your TVs/fridge/washer and dryer/etc, while you're out? I'm not trying to be snarky at all, I actually do know of someone who does this and was wondering how common it is.
Nicole, I was having a lot of the same issues with my DD1 right around the same age. There were days when I was ready to throw her out teh window, man. I highly recommend the book Connection Parenting by Pam Leo. It's really got a lot of amazing information in it, and applying things I learned in it really changed my relationship with my daughter. Good luck!
I think you need to politely, but firmly, tell them that this is not up for discussion or vote. Were it me, it would likely sound something like this: "Mom, Dad, I know that you have our son's best interest at heart, and I love you so much for that. We are so happy that our son has grandparents who want to be such an active part of his life. I understand your concerns regarding circumcision, but we have done a lot of research on this, ourselves. We have decided not to...
Oh that is so, so hard. When DD1 was about a year old, I had had ENOUGH of this whole cosleeping thing. I know right where you are. Here's what I did. We had a toddler bed and a twin bed in DD1's "bedroom". It just so happened that it was that way, we hadn't planned it. First, we took the mattress off the toddler bed and put it on the floor next to my mattress on the floor. I would nurse DD to sleep on the small mattress, do The Great Boob/Binky Switch (DH coined that...