or Connect

Posts by SagMom

Yes! Cecil!
Hi All--I'm a long-time MDC member but haven't been around for ages...planning a move in the future to north-eastern MD and will be looking for a non-vax friendly ped for my son. Any recommendations? Thanks!
My dd is 16 and is leaving for college next week. She's going to a small, selective, liberal arts school on a partial merit scholarship.    She'd started taking classes at the local community college just after she turned 15.   So, yes, unschoolers can go to college.   My 20 y/o chose not to--he's employed, plus, he teaches and coaches archery at a club and camp, and he's started a small artistic business on the side as well.   So, unschooling can lead to...
Thank you, and    CONGRATS to Rain and Miranda's dd--such great opportunities!!
Always unschooled  (except for K)  dd, age 16 has just been accepted into Bard College at Simon's Rock on a merit scholarship!!     She is the 7th unschooled child we know personally who has made it to college/university. (And we know zero who wanted to go but couldn't.) Not bad. :)
I told them when they asked--it wasn't one big conversation though, they asked a question here and there and over time the whole story was told. I believe that if they're old enough to ask the question, they're old enough to hear the answer. For all the kids, their questions started when I was pregnant with their younger siblings...so...ages 3, 4, 5.   My oldest was present (at 3 and at 9) for the births of his siblings--actually, he assisted with one. Dd was present...
"I am thinking that this lack of time thing will change as the current 2 kids get older and more self sufficient,"     I would agree wholeheartedly with this! You are now in a VERY intense stage where the kids need you for everything--it really does get easier as they get older.   But if your only reason for having another is so that your children will have another child to play with--I'd think twice (and three and four times) about that. More people does not =...
10 y/o is still sleeping and will prob. be up around 10:00 or so (he's practicing to be a teenager.) He has a dvd on Lewis and Clark that he wants to watch today, and has suddenly been into numbers so he'll probably ask for some "problems" to work. He will also practice his music (mandolin) as he's taking lessons and has a festival coming up.  The rest of the day he'll make up as we go along.     16 y/o is up and out for a run (just back to training after 2 1/2...
Depends on the college--when dd started community college, they didn't request grades at all. Now she's applying to universities and it really does depend on the individual college---some want traditional transcripts with letter grades (we provide the cc transcripts and a homeschool transcript, as others have said, the hs one reflects mastery.) Others want more of a portfolio or resume-style description of what the student has been doing. There's nothing stopping a hsing...
"What's it like to apply to colleges as a homeschooler these days? "     It really depends on the college. Some require SATs but more and more are making them optional. Some want traditional transcripts (letter grades with CUs, etc.) and others want a more narrative-like description of the classes taken, materials used, etc. or a portfolio of work. (Of course, as a hser, you'll decide the grade based on your own measurements.)   For homeschoolers in particular,...