or Connect

Posts by puzzlepeace

(((Triniity))) My initial reaction to your first post was that you sound very overwhelmed by having an ADHD family.  I can understand and relate as we are also an ADHD family!  It was pretty bad for quite awhile.  DH and I have almost divorced over it as other things have eaten our individual coping skills up.  The biggest thing that seems to have helped my marriage and my dc2 (who is the most aggressive,. verbal, struggling to deal with emotions, etc out of the kids) is...
Any suggestions on teaching problem solving skills and deeper thinking to an 11 year old boy?    While using Life of Fred for math has helped some in these areas (beyond math problem solving) I am finding he really struggles in these areas.  We do some board games and such.  He reads a ton, but has a hard time answering questions that require some of these more advanced skills.  He has adhd and is easily distracted so I need to find something that he will value...
Thank you for sharing that video, what an inspiration she is!   As inspiration to you and eventually your daughter, you might want to learn more about Sarah   Reinertsen.  She is now on adult and an athlete although she also was born without a foot.  She was an inspiration as a child; she never seemed to feel there was anything she couldn't do.  As an adult, she has gone on to prove that.   
I used to be much better about rhythms when my kids were littler. I tried hard not to stick to the Waldorf only interpretation, but to find things that made sense with our life/ their stages of growth at the time. They thrived on the routine and ritual of it!  It greatly helped my children feel rooted as we had moved quite often initially. It helped me so much also in functioning as a mom of little ones and later as a working mom.    Our rhythm was pretty simple...
I was wondering what subject you find hardest to teach to your kids (age/grade)?  If you are homeschooling more than one is it the same for both?  Has it changed over time? Do you think it is because they struggle with it or you struggle with it?   I was thinking about this as we work this morning.  Ds (10 yo/5th grade) is on a much better track than he had been recently.  We ordered a new Math series (Life of Fred) and our home education program is turning around. ...
Quick update... Thanks for the input. It actually was very helpful, along with reading on here and a few review sites, speaking to other homeschool parents, and speaking to the companies themselves!   We ended up not going with either.  Husband did some research and likes the idea of having him read and do a certain number of projects/reports on the assigned reading.  We are going to work through a number of historic books (got a list from a Charlotte Mason site)...
We just got the Intermediate Life of Fred books.  I am really pleased so far.  We do have other practice books to work through topics for repetition and general practice (I have been using Sylvan books for practice).  I think while they will go fairly quickly, they will be reread. They are hard covered books, so should also hold up well.  
Thank you for the additional info. I was looking at the sample lessons on their site and trying to figure out if they are meant for a day or a week? I talked to them and asked a ton of questions the other day, now I need to try to see if they have any seconds available at a discount.  
Thank you! It is good to see someone using it with older kids (not just early ed). I am hoping that whatever I go with will work if we continue homeschooling but will also prepare [academically] him if we don't. Some questions if you would indulge me. :)   Is it something that we can move through at a good pace or do we have to stick to their pacing? What made you go with Singapore math instead?
Well we have decided against Calvert for a number of reasons.  I am still researching some other options also but am strongly leaning towards Oak Meadow if anyone has input about higher elementary grades or middle school.