or Connect

Posts by puzzlepeace

So I am still piecing things together.  I have a son who is active, distractable, loves to read/learn about history & science,  and hates math. Last year I pieced together a curriculum with rented books.  This year I would like to have something stronger in science and history since he enjoyed those subjects. I also need to make math more exciting, he thinks he isn't good at it because he compares himself to former school peers. Writing has always been a struggle (mainly...
I would have homeschooled much earlier in my kids lives when it would have been more "fun" for all of us.  I would have worried less about the amount of work we completed the first year and let them deschool a bit more.  I would have tried to get dh more involved in coming up with our philosophies and also somehow tried to get him to help problem solve more (logistics, etc).  I would have worried less about people's opinions (they think I am nuts, dc really picked up on...
  I have not dealt with it in the same way as my children just started being homeschooled this past year.  I have one returning to school this year, so I will have an opportunity to see more clearly from this angle I am sure.   I have however taught both K and 1st.  It definitely would take some kids the entire first quarter to adjust.  I have had students who parents almost pulled in the first two weeks, yet when left for a longer time they adjusted and thrived.  I will...
Yes. When my children were little we were unschoolers, then we did some more Waldorfy stuff, then they went to school, now they are home and we are I guess classical/traditional schoolers. They are in 4th and 7th so I feel like that age requires more traditional approach to prepare for middle/high school.  I am sure my philosophy will change more/ again if/as we continue to homeschool.  Next year my older child would like to return to parochial school for 8th however as...
Very nice resource!  You have a great blog.  Do you homeschool your older ones also? I ask as I have a 10 and 12 year old too. :)
Sounds similar to my ds.  He seems worse (anxiety/lack of coping/tics/etc) in spring summer due to allergies and the transition of a school year ending/ moving to the next grade.  We did recently test for strep as that was also a concern.   Has your ds been tested for allergies and strep? Also vision testing comes to mind (depth perception/ light sensitivity)?
We like the National Audobon Society's Regional Guides.  They seem to cover the most different categories and my kids prefer photos to the drawings that the Peterson guides have.  I have found frustration with all of them since inevitably there are only a limited number of amphibians/reptiles/birds/trees/etc. in the field guides and there are occasions we could not find what we were looking for however this one has covered the most for...
I think it can be. I started homeschooling both kids in the fall.  I know that dd will probably go back in the coming fall to her previous school.  The hardest part is watching her attitude since she knows there will be a change. I will still homeschool my younger one for at least another year.  For us we chose curriculum that would provide continuity if/when they return to school (I looked at what the school would be using and was okay with it).   I will say it is the...
You guys are awesome with the tips!  I am working with the kids on a better plan and trying to be more mindful as I look through the house to see what jobs are not being done frequently enough and stay on top of them. I love the ideas of the hot spot clean-ups.  Keep it coming!!! :)  
I am in MD. My kids are older and have come out of a school environment so we have had our own issues with that. We have not had our review yet but there was a recent thread about reviews.  We are in Charles County and have heard they are quite favorable to homeschooling.  We have kept a portfolio of the topics that you must include. I will need to add photos to verify some of our projects.  Socially here it has been hard because we live in a rural isolated area. The...