or Connect

Posts by Fireflyx

OH what a great idea!!  My son is a HUGE biter at 2.5.  He does it out of frustration of not getting his way mostly.  He tries to bite me, other kids, the day care providers, his father, my mother.  But mostly when he just doesn't get his way.  He's predominately gotten over the biting because he can't verbalize what he wants hump.   I have tried reasoning (with a 2.5 year old) and we just end up both horribly frustrated as he continues to bite, pinch, and now slap....
I can't stand Stuck by Oliver Jeffers.  I like the drawings but the story is basically about a selfish little boy who doesn't give a hoot about anyone else.   Oh, and just because the story has sooooo many holes...The Man in the Moon (The Guardians of Childhood) by William Joyce.  Again the graphics are great but the story is lacking so much as to be highly annoying. (But I really love the Beatrix Potter books :) )
Did you see the counterpoint?  While the guy that wrote it is quite rude (inappropriate to call children "stupid") it has a lot of merit.   http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/05/17/leave_your_kid_at_the_park_day_is_a_rotten_idea_and_should_be_abolished.html   Since my babe is only 2ish the whole leaving your kid alone thing doesn't come into play yet, but living in NYC, surrounded by lots and lots and lots and lots of people I have already had to deal with...
  Ooooooooh - that is a great idea!!!  Even if he tries and succeeds at tossing it I'm finding that people on the subway have been more than helpful and generous and would help me retrieve it.  I almost never have to stand when I'm carrying him.  It really surprised me when I started commuting with him in January but it's been really great. 
Hi everyone -   I'm looking for some ideas for entertaining my 21 month old on our daily subway commute.  It's about a 30-40 min ride and 12 minutes of walking.  He's pretty good and I'm all for downtime but I'm afraid that I'm limiting him somehow - just a vague "am I doing something wrong" thought.   I am currently still carrying him - it's easier to carry than to use a stroller on a crowded subway plus I love it when he puts his little head on my...
I was just about 42 when he was born.    I've thought, in the past year, about trying to have a second but I no longer have a husband and had some infertility issues even in having this guy.  He's most likely my only one.   The first 9 months were especially difficult as he didn't sleep more than 1.5 hr at a time but somehow I did it!!  I do look forward to a whole 6 hours of sleep someday though - what a dream!
Hi there everyone -   I've posted on here in the past but thought I'd do an Intro too.   I'm on the older side, have a 1 year old boy, and am struggling with working, getting a divorce from my husband who wants very much to be involved (very complicate things there), being single, being a single mom.    I am loving every second of my little boy.    I gravitated towards Mothering because I embrace some but not all of the ideas that are generally supported...
LeahG - I did a lot of holding!  My mother is pretty old school and she was there helping me out but I stuck to it with the holding.    On top of crying after eating (a sure sign of reflux) for a good while there he had the crying during the early evening where he was pretty much inconsolable but usually it only lasted 30-45min and I'd be holding him or bouncing him the entire time.    It was hard hard hard but now with a more developed digestive system and the...
I feel your pain - I discovered my LO had silent reflux at around 6 weeks and felt so bad I didn't catch it earlier.  And while it does get better, it is by no means easy :(   Anyway, I had him in a co-sleeper for the first 4 or so months and instead of buying an expensive wedge/sling combo I just raised the end of the cosleeper up with books.  That actually seemed to help regardless of the research that says it doesn't do anything.    Everyone suggested to me to...
@Mama of 1 - Hmmm, Iron deficiency?  Was the solution for you to take iron supplements assuming you were breastfeeding not formula feeding?