or Connect

Posts by deesmomma

Okay, I actually hate that question but it was the shortest subject I could come up with. I guess more of what I'm wondering is, is this to be expected? My kids just started public school, kindergarten and 1st grade. They've never been to a pre-k, daycare, or anything like that. My 5 year old, while not super clingy exactly, requires SO MUCH attention. And what I've noticed is that this, along with other bad behavior, has SKY ROCKETED since she started school. At school...
Finding the right, healthy foods that my kids will eat for breakfast before leaving for school has become quite the chore. They absolutely love smoothies though and with all the things you can sneak into them, I'm thinking this will be a good bet for breakfast. What I'm wondering is, should I invest in a smoothie maker? Currently I just have a plain, semi-cheap blender and I can never get the consistency the way I like it. (I'm picky about texture.) I don't have a lot of...
Thanks Peony! Its good to hear from people who have btdt. Definitely eases my anxiety.
@whatsnextmom "Actually, their not getting sick much prior to now is more likely due to less exposure than awesome immune systems." Heh. That actually occurred to me after posting. Very true. @Ruthla These are the vitamins we buy, no artificial colors or flavorings. You're right about the sugar content in nutella and Carnation, though admittedly I feel kinda of stumped when it comes to nutritional breakfasts, especially as they aren't meat eaters. Thanks for...
SO. My kids have always had pretty awesome immune systems. They've had a few minor colds and maybe 2 stomach flu/virus things their whole lives. (7 and 5 years old.) But we also didn't go out much, they never went to daycare or pre-k, etc. I homeschooled them up until now so they've never been in an environment like a classroom for more than a few hours. Its the 10th day of school and my kindergartener is already home with a stomach bug. These things are going to happen, I...
Thanks all for the advice! I'll call the school tomorrow, unfortunately our health department isn't doing them at ALL this summer, and our local Walgreens does not provide physicals. I'll check around, the only place I've contacted so far is the Urgent Care office and they charge $65 and I need 2 so I really didn't want to spend the money if I didn't have to. Thanks again!
I have to make this short and sweet, so here's the deal: My kids need to get physicals before they start school and we don't have insurance currently. My mother in law works at a doctors office (in alabama, we live in florida but are right over the state line) and I could get their physicals at her office for free or for very little probably. However, my mother in law is not aware that we do not vax and I'm not keen on filling her in. They just aren't very...accepting...
Thanks, Linda! Your information was SO helpful. I guess as far as the placement/assessment goes I'm just afraid she'll freeze up or give the regular "I dunno," response that she gives her grandmother when she tries to quiz her. Or that they will have something on there that we just never got to. Of course she can add and subtract, count money, tell time, etc. Sigh, I need to stop worrying, don't I? As far as the adhd goes, no she hasn't been diagnosed but it is on my...
Thank you for the responses! luv2homeschool - I definitely can't wait until I can sit down with the teacher and discuss my fears and explain what we've been doing with her. That will make me feel a lot better. whatsnextmom - You are so right about the curriculum gap, I sure hope they take that into consideration. I guess I'm just mostly anxious about the "placement test" now.
Due to many and varying circumstances, we have decided to put our two girls in public school this year, as opposed to homeschooling like we have been doing the last few years. My youngest will be in kindergarten, she doesn't have to take an assessment or anything and I have full confidence that she is ready and then some for kindergarten. My should-be 2nd grader, I'm a little more anxious about but she is a quick learner and very smart and I have no doubt that whatever she...