or Connect

Posts by parsley

We have this problem (to a lesser degree as the school doesn't allow chapstick but the teacher isn't focused on the issue).  Our solution is to give DD a sample tube of lanisoh that she keeps in her jacket pocket and puts one 1-2 times a day.  Lanisoh doesn't taste good so there's no motivation to keep licking and it is incredibly healing. 
There's lots of good advice here already.  My situation is very similar to yours, Mommydesi.  My DD1 just turned 5 and we've spent a lot of time reframing comments about shyness, helping her learn to play with people, working on social skills, etc...  My DD2 is just 14 months but she is a social butterfly and very charming.  We've begun to hear a lot of comparison that is not always so flattering to DD1.    A few things I do: -frequently point out that EVERYONE...
Once I stopped expecting DD1 to follow a routine or sleep on her own or do anything that any book suggested (other than Dr. Sears small section on High Needs babies that I read over and over and over) my life got better, I relaxed and I became a better mom.     Figuring out sleep issues has been, for me, the very hardest part of parenting.  And, I think a big reason for that (aside from sleep deprivation and the fact that DD1 is a truly terrible sleeper) was that...
My almost 5 yo is as high strung and headstrong as they come (as is her mama).  Embracing positive discipline, family rules based on family meetings, and her need to be in control, I came up with a plan that  combines a behavior chart with the reward of "DD Fridays".  If she meets her daily goals all week (missing less than 3 of 56 or so things-- 8 tasks  by 7 days) she gets to pick what we do as a family on Friday evening.  She can pick the dinner (eat out, take in or...
We make cake-y pumpkin cookies using this recipe as a base and then doubling the pumpkin and spices.    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/george-duran/pumpkin-chocolate-chip-cookies-recipe/ For a non-breakfast treat, I recommend adding butterscotch chips.  Yum!
We find endless fun with our homemade water table.  We use a large storage box that once held baby blankets as our water table.  When we are looking for some semi-structured indoor fun we can do one of the following: -freeze big blocks of ice the night before and then watch them melt, chip the ice, play iceberg, etc...  Adding food coloring to these makes for lots of rainbow fun and color mixing.  Freezing different shapes (like muffin tins and baking pans) makes for...
Hi Gen24-- I don't mind answering your questions at all!  I remember too well how scared I was one year ago and how desperate I felt for any and all info.    So, I had a c-section with my first baby and with my second the placenta seems to have been attached just below that initial incision site and then it wrapped around my cervix toward the back.  I don't *think* they had to cut through my placenta but it was always a possibility. My c-section ended up being...
We let the baby (11 months old) have a few sips of water for fun (she loves it!) but I don't think a breastfed baby needs any liquid in addition to breastmilk.  She eats anything and everything but also nurses all the time still.    I was under the impression that babes shouldn't (or rather don't need) water until they are much older.
My babe (11 months old) LOVES beans.  And, she prefers food that tastes like food... so she's had refried beans several times and has rejected blandly cooked pinto beans in favor of the full flavor refried beans the rest of the family was eating.    Aside from the fact that it is from a can (which I do sometimes but don't feel great about) I don't see any downside to refried beans.
Hi Gen24 - I know you posted this quite awhile ago but I haven't been logged in and I just saw it.  Not sure if you'll come back through to see this but in case... thought I'd share the bare bones of my experience (though I also posted about this quite a bit last year so you've likely seen it if you did a search of the archives).     I had complete placenta previa with my DD2 (born 1/23/12).  I had bleeding throughout my pregnancy, had steroid shots and visits to the...