or Connect

Posts by parsley

Ha.  I was totally joking!   Sorry for the false alarm.  I have a grandmother who is always insisting that once I'm done having kids I need to get a hysterectomy (that's what she did) and it just always seemed like serious overdramatization. 
Hah!  That would have come later... with different sorts smokables :)    At that age we just tried to light the ends to make them look like cigars or cigarettes.  Don't know where that idea came from
I was really bothered by the premise of this article.  It starts by setting up one single example of a child's behavior in one setting and then offers some counter examples of other children's behavior in other settings.  The way the paper is set up totally overgeneralizes and selectively identifies its examples.  Do all children in Peru act like that all the time?  No way!  Do all children in Los Angelos act like the other examples all the time?  No way?  Social science...
Me too!  I have a 5 month old and every day I think of another reason I'm glad to not be pregnant anymore (it was a really scary pregnancy).  I'm happy to see my stomach going in instead of out, happy to know that my sleep will only get better from here :), happy to be able to take pepto when I had a stomach bug last week, etc, etc, etc...    I've even caught myself feeling a little bad for people who I see that are pregnant.     I'm going to be scheduling a...
I've never even had a twinkle or ding dong... but I have a serious weakness for fake cheese. For our vacation next week I agreed to buy a tub of cheese balls. I would eat those dipped in fake cheese and draped with piled jalepanos if I could. Somehow that also makes me think of picking up smoking again though so you know I'm triggering some addiction routine here. Actually come to think of it a friends and I used to smoke cheese doodles when we were kids.
Why not offer them some avocado (cut into tiny bites) and see if they like it?  Might turn out that they are really ready and eager.  If not, then wait awhile...    I've had two tiny babes (off the charts tiny).  I know how hard it is.  Hugs.
What about hiring an experienced babysitter to come at night for a few weeks to help?  Giving advice and also giving you a little more time to sleep?   I don't know the logistics of it but seems like a possilbe solution.
I cry and yell and lose my temper pretty often.  I'm human and I have emotions .  Fortunately, I don't often threaten or punish (or threaten to punish) so I'm not using my power over my daughter at the same time that I'm loosing my temper.    I think saying "I'm sorry" is the most important first step.  I try to do it promptly, to her face and at her level (ie: on the floor if she's throwing a fit on the rug). I then explain why I blew up-- just the final trigger...
Sorry you are feeling worn down and tired.  I know how hard it is!   That said, I would be wary of any sleep consultants.  In my experience (with DD1 who could still win an award for worlds worst sleeper-- at 4 1/4 she has yet to sleep longer than 5 hours in a stretch and routinely woke up every 45 min - 1 1/2 hours every night until she was 2... and I could go on...) finding solutions for improving your families sleep is based on intimate knowledge of your child and...
So glad it worked out!  And Happy Birthday to your son :)   I have also become super vigilant about rsvp-ing early.  I've started trying to do it the day we get the invite for a kids party.  I've now had a few experiences where people don't RSVP until the last minute and knowing how crazy that makes me I vowed to never do the same to another parent.    I do wonder if some people don't understand that RSVP means "respond, please" not "respond only if you are...