or Connect

Posts by parsley

My point was that when children wear clothes that they can't move around in comfortably they become physically passive and sit on the sidelines.   I think there is good evidence that kids who sit on the sidelines are likely to feel less engaged but my comment was about physically getting up and playing.    This happens in gendered and non-gendered ways.  Kid wearing flip flops can't run as well as kid in sneakers... so my daughter's school doesn't allow flip flops.  But,...
I've been thinking about this thread for the past 2 days as it's super hot and we've been at pools.  My DD always wears a rash guard short sleeve shirt and bottoms (I always wear a one piece or tankini).  I never even let her wear regular tank top swim suits outside for the risk of sun damage.  But, I've been trying to decide if once I get over the sun exposure issue I'd be ok with a bikini.  I've now seen about 100 kids in bikinis over the past two days.  They all look...
I can relate to much of what you've said here, Brodywoodsgal!  I also have a four year old and a young infant.  I admire your ability to laugh-- your daughter sounds creative, innovative and like she's probably lots of fun when she isn't a terror.  I find that I take much of my daughters antics to heart.     I think meemee makes some good point that maybe your daughter actually wants more of you rather than less.  And, that she'd probably benefit from some one-on-one...
Thanks so much for the resources and suggestions, Ollyoxenfree!  I'm looking forward to checking them out.  Thanks too for your perspective about immersive programs--I was overgeneralizing from one experience and appreciate hearing your thoughtful viewpoint.
How about holding something in your teeth?  How do I still catch myself holding cash in my teeth?  I know it's totally disgusting!!!!!!!!!  And, it definitely undermines my claim that you shouldn't put money in your mouth :)   Mosaic - I waste a shameful amount of water on my evening baths.  Every night here too! 
We've mostly just mashed to make our purees and that seems to work.  Just another option to consider. 
Maternalove, I agree that sunblock (which I use to mean sun screen but the old word is stuck in my head :) is the lesser of two evils.  I've read enough to make it clear that protecting my kids (and my own skin) now is one concrete thing I can do to protect them from cancer when they are older.  I also read an interesting article about how building good sunscreen habits as young children is highly associated with continuing good habits and preventing those bad burns that...
A couple of ideas that have worked w our 4 yo during our 8 hour drives:   etch a sketch/magnadoodle books on tape (or rather 1 book over and over) episodes of curious george, backyardigans, or magic school bus brainquest decks collaboratively making up a story that I write down and we illustrate pipe cleaners to make things with (like the straws above) favorite playmobil people drawing pics in her travel journal abt what she's looking forward to...
Good idea!
I often feel like parenting is a series of contradictions.  I often have my own way that I want or think things should go and then my kid comes along with her own ideas, we compromise and contradiction ensues.    Or I find a conflict between the ideal and the practical.    My contradiction of the day:  We have a shoe-free household.  We even ask visitors to take their shoes off (to my parents horror).  BUT, I love to walk around  barefoot outside.  And, I don't...