or Connect

Posts by xenabyte

I like almond milk. I have rice and coconut milk also (love it in smoothies). Are you looking for a 'fat' replacer in the milk, or just like the flavor of coconut milk? Do you have any virgin coconut oil on hand? Any coconut flakes? If you have flakes, you can add some to water and blend, strain to give you instant coconut milk.
That's ok. We're here to help! I finally got off my lazy babymooning butt and am trying to put things like that in helpful places!!
Hey, I like bailey's in my cocoa and well...with just a few ice cubes.. But I've been pregnant or breastfeeding for the last 5 years, so I've not had much in the way of that 'comfort' food...hahaha
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=203282 Read the first page, first post. There is some storage info there and brewing suggestions... 1 cup of grains to 1 cup of milk is waaaaay too many grains for that small amount of milk. The grains will start to suffer (starve), you might loose some of your colonies, and it will curd up way fast, if you are going a full 24 hours. Up the milk (to like 1-2 quarts for that much grain) or cut your grains down to a...
Added some brewing info and storage info on the first page, first post, since I'm seeing more questions on this.
You don't need to rinse the grains, unless the curds get so big, the culture has problems getting to the rest of your fresh milk. Just 'swirl' the jar a few times, that helps distribute the culture and makes sure your kefir cultures evenly. You should not use sour milk. The cultures are different from kefir'd milk. On the most 'harmless' side of the specturm, it will give you a more 'buttermilk' like flavor to use milk that is starting to sour. The good,...
I definitely noticed a difference. My hair is down to my waist now and is lots stronger and thicker. I have been using the same shampoo for years (Jason's Biotin), so that's not changed. I do put a tiny dab in my hands, and rub, then stroke my hair and I've no split ends and it's shiny. Usually if I let it grow too long, it looks kinda dry on the ends and I get splits! I actually need to cut mine, as I'm getting tangled up in my sleep and baby is grabbing it and...
If you got curds, it's doing it's thing. Just stir them or strain them to break it up, if you want a smoother drink. Remember, Kefir isn't yogurt. It will be like thickened milk (drinkable yogurt), not thick like yogurt. You'd have to allow the whey to seperate off, and then strain just the curds (like making yogurt cheese), if you wanted a thick, creamy, yogurt or cheese like product. If you want more fizz, you need to let the yeast colonies build up a bit, as...
Most folks don't have an issue with organic (non GMO) soy, and fermented (so long term soaked) products (Tempe, Miso, etc). I don't think anything in moderation is necessarily bad. If I could get my hands on truely organic, fermented Tofu, I'd consume it in moderation, myself! But I avoid soy, (except for miso and soy sauce (nama shoyu). I've never had PPD, and have had three boys. So you don't necessarily need soy products to prevent it. I do consume Chia seeds...
The following is not necessarily a MDC viewpoint, but personal opinion: I'm assuming the MIL is ok with drinking your Breastmilk and just wants it in a more 'appealing' form? Because if she is in agreement, you really want to try to leave the BM in as natural a form as possible (ie, not freezing it, not over blending it, and as fresh as possible for as much healing benefits as possible.) Other than refrigerating it to 'chill' it, I would try blending a favorite...