or Connect

Posts by lifehappens

When my kids were younger we used to have the usual lineup of shoes by the front door, or inside the entry closet if our home had one. Now that my kids are older (and we have no entry closet again) we all carry our shoes to our bedrooms and store them there. It took us a while to remember to pick up shoes before walking as far as the front door, but we've all adapted. 
Salvation Army picks up stuff. Check their website for your local contact. Do what Zoebird recommends about the ex's stuff. It's not your responsibility beyond giving your ex your moving date. A deadline is a fine motivator for people to pick up their stuff. You have a lot of weeks between now and your move in the fall to eat up the consumables you have that are opened (rice etc) while combining it with fresh produce. Don't open any other packet food until you've...
once you are done with this bout of decluttering, more stuff will creep in as gifts and this-will-be-useful. It is insidious. I always take advantage of my decluttering mood swings and become completely ruthless. I try hard to postpone regretful feelings until after the stuff is dropped at goodwill - it's amazing how short-lived those feelings are when I get home and everything is neat and spacious again. When I used to declutter my kids' rooms (and the dollar store...
You mention that one of your children is sensitive to change.  Having your kids comfortable and happy at school is a huge thing. Your husband is the adult and perhaps he's the one who should take on the discomfort of the situation until you are all absolutely sure that moving is the right thing for your family to do. Every marriage, family and child is different when it comes to these decisions. You and your husband know what your children can and cannot handle.
I was laid off last September and researched our unemployment rules online. There was a rather tricky calculation for how much unemployment benefit would be paid according to what I had earned in the past two years. It was worth spending time researching online and going through my paycheck log to figure out how much I would receive. I was able to figure out a budget that we would follow, but it was also so little money (I'd only been working 18 months) that I was highly...
If I add child support and military retirement pay to what I actually earn, then we have just enough to live on according to the chart. My family is me and and an adult daughter and teenage son - neither of them generate any income yet. My daughter is disabled, but we don't claim any benefits for her (and we really should). My coworker earns $1/hr less than me and supports her two teenage daughters on just what she earns. She has to live with her mother in order to do...
I've been lurking for a few days to decide whether to put yet another username in my life. I very much like the topics and level of discussion here, so here I am all joined up :)   I have a 21 yr old daughter who has Sotos Syndrome (moderate mental and physical disabilies) and autism, and I have a 16 yr old gifted son. We were a military family until a couple of years ago and now we're a single parent family. There are pros and cons to everything - both my kids are...