or Connect

Posts by rtjunker

I bought most of my diapers used on ebay, and just stripped them with super hot water, dawn soap, and bleached to get rid of any bacteria that might be on them. I have a combination of prefolds and covers and pockets. We mostly use the pockets. We spent under $200 altogether for over 30 decent pocket diapers, a couple dozen prefolds, and several covers, but you could probably get even cheaper for just prefolds and covers. We have a combination of FuzziBunz, Grovia,...
I do see how banning formula bags at hospitals could be a good idea, all the advertising preys on women at their most vulnerable time. I also recognize that some studies have been done that support the opinion that getting rid of the bags in hospitals can lead to slightly improved breastfeeding rates.   I guess I just hate the mommy wars that can erupt from this sort of activism. I personally don't want my DD to  ever have formula.  Sure I've looked up studies and...
My 4 month old normally falls asleep by nursing, but will also fall asleep on car rides. Sometimes I can get her to sleep with butt pats, and shushing. Every now and again she'll fall asleep in her swing. If I'm putting her back to sleep and she's just a little awake I can sometimes just lay my hand on her chest and shush a little. She also likes me to brush her hair back with my hand, basically pet her until she falls asleep.    The first month or two I had to nurse...
I'd just keep offering the boob. Every hour if need be. My LO nursed probably 30 minutes or more out of every hour for the first few weeks of her life. Get as much skin to skin contact as you can. Try nursing while taking a bath with her, my LO loved that. Maybe try having a nurse-in, hang out in bed all day topless with her, and nurse every time LO shows interest. Make sure you have everything you need, books, computer, plenty to drink, and eat. Is it possible to get...
I think the approach of banning formula samples is ineffective, because it makes people defensive and less willing to listen or consider breastfeeding as an option. The way I look at it, there are three groups of people. Those who are going to BF no matter what, they've done the research, and free formula samples are going to be thrown away or donated. The group on the other end of the spectrum would never consider BF, and are pleased to get formula samples at the...
I don't have this problem, so not btdt, but everything I've read seems to agree that most of the time using any sort of lactation aid isn't needed, and most babies will be able to nurse even with flat nipples.   Pre-baby I was so worried about breastfeeding, cloth diapering, and parenting in general, I read so much, but have since found that the only time things get rough is when I am stressed out, not relaxed, or worried. When I just trust myself and my baby, we do...
I don't really mind the free formula samples at the hospital. You know what we did with them? We threw away the bottles that weren't BPA free, kept the ice packs and insulated bag, and gave all the formula samples we'd received at the hospital and in the mail to people who chose to FF. I understand that it is advertising and offers the temptation when a Mom is struggling to BF, but I also believe the real reason that many Moms end up FF despite intention to BF is lack of...
I think it's odd how defensive we can get of our choices either way. In all honesty becoming a mother has been a huge shock. All of it's hard, no matter which way you go about it. I do breastfeed. It's a lot cheaper than FF, and healthier for my LO, and I love the bond. That said it can be so exhausting and time consuming, and my LO has nursed like a champ from day one, I can completely understand why so many choose to FF.   The biggest shock I've had since becoming...
I've never tried FCLO, but goodness I can relate to how annoying oversupply can be. My DD is 4 months now, and last month it seemed like my supply was starting to balance out. Now, we're back to regular breastmilk facials for LO. If I collect milk as it spurts out of the opposite breast during a feed, I can get up to 3 or 4 oz just by holding a bottle up to my boob. Lets just say NIP can be messy, and toddler prefolds cover my side of the bed at night. It fluctuates...
Isabel will be 4 months tomorrow. I love being her Mom. I'm very impressed by her. She loves tummy time, especially on top of Mommy. She's over 15 lbs now, so she's gaining really well. She loves making sounds, she babbles constantly making vowel and consonant sounds, hooting, howling, clicking and just enjoying herself. She has rolled over from front to back a few times now, and seems to enjoy trying new things. Though gets frustrated, too.   She loves her Sophie...