or Connect

Posts by andromedajulie

My 11 year old does not self-regulate. She has ADHD, Tourettes, MDD. On M-W, if she does her chore, exercise, and homework, she gets 30 minutes total screen time. On T-Th she has 2hours of therapy and with homework there is not enough time for chores, let alone screen time. On Fri-Sat-Sun, I am flexible and usually allow 2+ hours screen time. Generally this includes computer (for fun), texting, and TV (movies, we don't have TV). The computer is in the dining room, so I can...
My 6th grade daughter (age 11) has both ADHD and Tourettes (along with MDD, OCD, and anxiety). She was diagnosed about a year ago. This has been a huge, painful struggle for us. She has been very difficult all her life, and after working with her via every parenting technique I'd been able to find, I was fed up. It never occurred to me that she had special issues. I thought that she was being oppositional and defiant (since by nature she is strong willed - as am...
Our DD is beginning preschool in fall. She is selectively vaccinated. We submitted her vaccination chart filled out by the doctor with his note "religious exemption".    Today we got a letter that we needed to fill out a form and submit a letter stating that we were requesting the exemption (no problem). What I didn't like was the tone of the letter, which made me feel like a criminal. (I guess it wasn't actually nasty but it made me feel bad) The phrasing was that...
I used to live in Houston, and taught in the Pasadena SD. I have to say, I do think your experience is because of where you are. And I think people are afraid that if you talk about childbirth, children will ask about sex. And we wouldn't want them to learn anything, of course.   I have heard of similar reactions regarding breastfeeding... I think that our culture is so highly sexualized that people don't even know how to think about birth & breastfeeding as normal...
I suggest starting with the National Tourettes Association http://tsa-usa.org/ and look for the group in your area. I don't know that they have referrals, but hopefully they have support groups, and there I would think you can get some real information from other parents.   My 10 year old was diagnosed with TS last year but the tics weren't her biggest problem so we didn't pursue it. They are full blown now and so we are reaching out locally. Haven't found a support...
I got diagnosed after I found out my daughter had it. It was the explanation for a lot of the depression I have not been able to figure out through my life - the inability to do things and overwhelm actually being executive function issues making me feel powerless.   I take Adderall. I began it when I too was nursing my toddler and contacted the Infant Risk center, Dr. Hale's organization. He's the leading expert on breastfeeding and medications. He helped me figure...
Blessedwithboys, I'm very interested in what you're saying. We are currently in the middle of another more comprehensive evaluation of my DD1 (age 10 1/2). I too am fixated on diagnosis only because she is wholly miserable, and nothing we've tried is working so we are clearly not looking at things the right way. We have a variety of things going on, but suspect Aspergers or similar because she is significantly "emotionally constipated" as you well say. Linguistically and...
This question is a big problem for me too. I am currently doing a gf elimination for my DD1. The doctor and allergist told us we had to include oats in that. I specifically asked about "gluten-free oats" with regard to the contamination and the doctor said no oats at all. I too read about a related protein but I am also confused. I think there is more to it than the contamination.    I think if you wanted, you could eliminate them for 2 weeks, then add in the...
Mommariffic, I wish I had advice for you but do not. This sounds to me like the confessing aspect of OCD. Is she old enough for cognitive behavioral therapy? I am guessing not. My DD dealt with some OCD (not that aspect) but it morphed into other issues so I don't have experience with this (and she was older). Just wanted to give you some hugs. Hang in there and I hope you can get some helpful suggestions.
Thank, Mamas!   I haven't seen this tent thing - but I'll look for it and see if it might work. However, it sounds like we may just plow through with the transition and take everything out of the room. I think we never did the greatest job proofing the room so that's half the problem, and I need to make it so she can't open the door. That will eliminate much of the problem - I don't care if she sleeps on the floor or whatever.    Wish me luck!