or Connect

Posts by andromedajulie

I just read the chapter on Sensory Processing Disorder in "The Mislabeled Child" and just about fell off the couch it sounded so much like DD. Not in all categories, but in several. I could not believe it.   How do I get this evaluated? We go to psychiatrist for checkup on Friday to see how she's doing on the anxiety meds. (I still feel the GAD is correct - though it may be related or a result of) Does a psychiatrist evaluate her? Should I ask for a referral - who...
Hi Mamas,   DD is 20 mo old and 25+ lbs and counting. This time around, I'm older, and it feels harder to wear baby much longer! I've been using the Ergo, wearing baby on my back now. I am wondering if a frame backpack has any advantages - does it sit baby differently and/or make the weight feel easier? I love to hike but haven't been doing as much with my almost 2 yr old. She likes to walk, but that's a different type of hike! :) A friend is selling her Chicco frame...
While I agree with most of the PP here, I would like to say that I think the OP would be better served by more supportive and gentle suggestions, even when frank and emphatic. I love mdc but I have found that when people disagree, it can be really ugly. I am guessing that OP is trying her best, like all of us, to be a great mom and let's be honest - it's very difficult. The failures I have probably seem like horrible crimes to others who are not in my shoes. Who knows...
thank you, Nayma!  
I plan to expose my now-20-mo old to it. I am just hoping that when I find it, it will be a convenient time (yeah, right!)   Our doctor recommended it. In addition to it being a stronger immunity, the boosters are so necessary, and it's turning out that a lot of 20 year olds don't get them due to not having insurance - and serious complications are more likely if you get it as an adult.
I highly recommend the series by Robie Harris. There are a few, for different ages. They are spectacular!
Thank you for the support and for these ideas. It sounds like I need to just wait and see what happens. It is hard because I feel like I have been in denial for 2-3 years and now that I am getting help, I am fixated on getting it exactly right (so she can get better!!) and it sounds like that is not how it works. I guess many of you struggle with the right diagnosis and even if there is more than one I need to get a handle on one and see how the other manifests (or not)...
I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Please be kind. I feel like a horrid parent and don't know what to do anymore.   DD1 is 9 1/2 and has always been difficult. For so many years I just thought she was tough, then I thought she had coping problems because of divorce, then I thought she was just difficult again. She has been in therapy for 3 years but mostly refuses to talk about anything serious. Over the past 6 months things have gotten worse and worse to where...
my heart goes out to all of you. my ex-husband has Aspergers and neither of us knew it until we were divorced. The divorce was the right thing anyway, in our case. But it sure would have explained a lot of crazy-making stuff. I think if he is diagnosed and you work together to learn how to understand each other, you can do it. And should, if you want to be together. Best of luck.
My LO is only 19 mo but she eats shirtless most of the time.