or Connect

Posts by tekcez

background:  DS will be 3 at the end of May.  Long history of sleep challenges.  Lately he has been having fewer disruptions in sleep.  He has been sleeping with DH for about 18 months, since DD was born.  At one point he was sleeping in his own bed in the same room as DH, but moved back into DH's bed probably a year ago.  He is very averse to sleeping in his own bed now.  He screams and gets himself worked up to a panic state even when someone is sitting right next to...
0-1 My first was and is high needs, spirited, etc. He took all of my expectations and shattered them into a million pieces. If it wasn't for me (mistakenly) thinking that I couldn't get pregnant without fertility treatment, there would be no second yet as he still often has us reeling. But I am so glad she came along. It has been so much easier to parent her. I already learned with ds how to live without sleep, so even though dd is not a great sleeper, I don't mind. It...
Just want to let you know that you're not the only mama out there feeling this way. It's hard, too hard, to do mothering on your own. I was thinking the other day that I was finally starting to feel at least a little bit more on top of things and less overwhelmed (note I said "less," as I am still constantly overwhelmed) with my household responsibilities and with my 2 year old and 10 month old. And then I realized it was because DH had been home on the weekends for the...
Evie is 9.5 months old now. She crawls and cruises, loves her solids and her milkies, is infatuated with her big brother, is starting to sign and use words, has such a sweet giggle, and is beginning to attend to books a bit rather than just wanting to eat them. She is much more into her daddy than ds was at this age. I try to keep the floor at least swept but still I'm pulling pebbles, leaves, little feathers and whatnot out of her mouth daily. Two kids 17 months apart...
  Ha! yeah I was just thinking, why is our book collection so macabre?  But then I realized that these are the books that he is choosing right now, not necessarily indicative of what we have.  He is drawn to the stuff that makes him uncomfortable right now.  Curious George is a great suggestion, though.  I bet he would love those books.     Last night we read Don't Wake the Bear.  He's used to be fine with it, but last night he got really nervous when (for those of you...
What would you do?   Ds (just turned 2) is bored by super simple bedtime books, but seems to be getting upset with the content of more advanced books.  For example his grandpa got him this 3D adaptation of the Jungle Book.  He loves it and requests to read it often, but he gets upset with the concept of the tiger wanting to eat Mowgli.  He loves Where the Wild Things Are, but is starting to describe the Wild Things as "scary."  We have a collection of 4 tiny versions...
I just sent you a request!
Ladies!  It's been so long since I've visited the DDC.  I luuuuv seeing all these cute photos!  I feel pretty ambivalent about solids this time around.  With ds it was new, and he was skinny, and I was eager to get some extra fat in him, so he had a lot more food experiences than Evie has by 7.5 months of age.  She is definitely interested, though.  She now squeals insistently every time I feed her brother dinner and forget to give her something to gnaw on.  Dinner time...
Here's another nice link that I found while researching confusional arousals.  https://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/41206/router.asp   BetsyPage, it says that toddlers who experience confusional arousals are more likely to go on to become sleep walkers as adolescents and adults.  It features a chart that breaks down the common parasomnias according their characteristics: what time of night they typically occur, sleep stage, duration, etc.   This link is to an...
I hope it helps! I spent a lot of time being frustrated and angry with ds because I thought he was just having tantrums at night. In a way he is, but he has even less control over it than a day time tantrum. I'm glad I've come to understand what's happening so that I can let go of the frustration and be completely compassionate. It has actually helped me react more positively to his day time tantrums as well. Best of luck with your lo!