or Connect

Posts by mamaprovides

I would pick one of the two depending on my mood: 1. Just pull him. This doesn't seem like a good environment and could cause school anxiety in the years to come. I would consider riding out the amount paid explaining that we finish what we start but we will look for an alternative. 2. Make a meeting with the instructor and either a follow up meeting with the director or with both at the same time. Making a list of what the issues are, what the impact is, and the...
I am getting ready to volunteer by giving a talk about the hows and whys of cloth diapering. I am looking for things you wish you had been told about cloth diapering that just wasn't covered. For example...I wish some had told me how much Velcro sucks, and different ways to strip diapers. Thank you.
Thank you so much everyone. It is just one of those things that I try to stay on top of... Not that it happens but if my kids were watching 6 hours of tv and none of complained, I should hope it would come to my attention that this is (potentially) wrong. And non-homeschoolers always ask about socialization (I always bit my tongue in thinking not all schools and children have appropriate socialization environments). Just...insecure...it is the one thing that keeps me...
I have a 2.75 & 4.75. We homeschool. We like it. No one is complaining. HOWEVER...i live in rural vermont. my family is estranged. My in laws want nothing to do with my kids (not even birthday parties...just once a year at Christmas if my husband just shows up the day of). I have no support other than my hard working husband. No babysitter...no house keeper... I have a woman about an hour and a half away that pretends to be a grandmother. My closest friend is 3 hours...
Frozen planet might be a good tv show...the Alec Baldwin narration is funnier somehow... You may want to also consider shows like...animal kingdom? I only know it in Spanish (which is Rieno Animal). This takes an aspect of animals and highlights them for half an hour (hooves, fur, swimming mammals, dogs, etc) using real animals in their habitat or zoos. It also has commercial break quizzes and is silly and informative. And my son really loved the series walking with...
I have been thinking about this for a couple days now. There is plenty of research for waiting and it looks like you've got that. But sometimes, our marriages need compromise, placating, and a little petting. I think it would be appropriate to get those foam mats that connect like a puzzle to make a play space with letters and numbers. With someone that young you could use the padding to catch the falls as walking is becoming a part of his/her reality. It is, IMHO, an...
Ok. So what do we consider reading? Are talking reading Lobel by ourselves or identifying the word HANDS on the sign in the bathroom? Things to consider: Reading is not hard wired like speech so it will range. An 8 year old still struggling may likely have an issue like a little dyslexia that didn't get caught early yet has amazing critical thinking skills. But an early reader being taught to read too early may not develop an intrinsic love for literature. The child may...
I'm not sure what your looking for exactly but I do think you may want to take a look around some montessori manipulatives. Like the hundreds board or the spindle box. Or the red rods. This website will give you a good idea of what I'm talking about: http://www.infomontessori.com/mathematics/introduction.htm I don't think you need to out and buy a complete bead cabinet but this might fit the bill...age, interest, tangible, physical, not reling on writing and can be play...
I did the fake mom and that worked for us until my son was about 8 or nine months but by then he out grew the need to be constantly held. Fake mom: I used a nightgown or a shirt but you can do it with a blanket. Wear the shirt or night gown without a bra every time you nurse and for a good long spell (about 18-24hrs or so) make sure you use this shirt to clean up any breast milk spills (if you breast feed) and when you take it off make you use it to wipe under your boobs...
It didn't end for us until I cut all dairy. There was dairy in the soy yogurt. We found using an 8 oz peribottle with 2-3 oz of olive oil, 10 drops lavender oil but not always, 5-6 oz of water instead of wipes helped. When it's cold, we filled a cup with hot water and then put the bottle in (shake a couple times to cut the time helped. A&D, calendula cream, and emu oil to be the most helpful. At night, I would put on so much a&d it was funny (and change at night...