or Connect

Posts by larastheme

I'm using the LA for my fourth baby now, and I'm really glad I found it. To clean, there is a small bulb syringe that you use to force soapy water through the tube first, followed by a 50% vinegar solution. You sterilize by soaking in the 50% vinegar solution for something like half an hour. Then rinse in water (the LA people recommend distilled, but I just use tap water) and you're ready to go.It's a routine that only takes a couple of minutes. Having a couple of...
Quote: Originally Posted by momofmine Yes, this is why I did not do a skin prick test for my child, whom I already knew to be allergic to peanuts. We discovered by accident, and it was clearly peanuts. I think what I would do is just avoid all peanuts and nuts anyway, since you're already doing it for the other child, and at 16 months he doesn't know the difference. I have read that the blood tests are not very accurate when they are that young. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by JaneS Insider had some very interesting posts in the "How not to have an allergic child" thread which I believe he said that food proteins can hang around in the mother's body even if she doesn't eat them presently? You sound like me, I "overthink" (translating = think carefully using my mama wisdom ) things too. Personally this is what I have always thought was a risk to doing prick tests in a documented atopic child. How...
I may have had a *low* level pf peanut while pregnant with DS2, I honestly don't think I ate peanut butter, but I may have had some in other products. That was something I wondered about, too: does the peanut (or other allergen protein) cross the placenta whole and unchanged enough to cause a sensitization/reaction? I mean, if I ate peanuts while pregnant with a peanut allergic child (DS1, for instance), would the first exposure cause sensitization and then the second time...
Well, the allergist doesn't think that the lack of previous exposure would confound the test results, but I have my doubts, since it took me a *long* time to explain to her what I meant. In fact, she told me that I was overthinking it (sorry, but a potential peanut allergy is something to be sure you understand.) She gave me something about a localized vs. systemic reaction making the difference between the two (a systemic reaction requires a first exposure to "prep"...
I've got a call in to the allergist. I'll update when I hear back. Thanks, everybody!
Hi everyone, I don't generally hang out in the allergy forum, despite my having a peanut/walnut allergic son, but I have a question and I'd like to get all the information I can before I call the allergist. As I said, DS1 is peanut/walnut allergic. On the recommendation of the allergist, I took DS2 to be checked for a peanut allergy the last time we had an appointment, to rule it out. He turned out to test negative--so I thought, great! But then I started...
This idea intrigues me very much. My DD will be kindy-age this fall, and I was wondering what I should do regarding sacramental prep as time goes on. It just seems wrong to me to put her in a class for it when we're choosing not to put her in classes for the rest of her education. Can you update when you've communicated with your priest? I'd be really interested to hear how it went...
FWIW, I had *extremely* low supply (like 2 oz per day or less despite major efforts to increase supply) and some (anecdotal) family history of low supply. While my own mother didn't bf us, she also had only slight engorgement on only one side after the one birth where the doctors didn't give her a shot to dry up the milk. Anecdotally, my grandmother bf one of my uncles, and was told to supplement because she didn't have enough milk (I don't have any more info than that,...