or Connect

Posts by emblmrgrl

Thanks Peepsqueak & Polka, for your thoughts. To answer a couple things... her diet is just a dry food currently. I'm really interested in the raw diet but honestly, this is still so new to me it seemed a little overwhelming to undertake right now. If it will help get some chewing out of her system though, I may be inspired to give it a go. As for the kids + dogs together, they are under constant supervision but I do admit feeling extremely guilty when I have to crate her...
I'm in Middle Tennessee. The way it's handled in our school system is that they send home consent forms at the beginning of the year to give permission (or not) to paddle.
Quote: Originally Posted by EdlynsMom Ive found that dog parks work wonders for sorting out the chain of command and getting energy out. Is there one you can take your puppy to? No, unfortunately there isn't... we're in a really small town. For now we just walk her each day around the neighborhood. There's a walking trail I like to do a couple times a week that I'd love to take her on with me but she gets really carsick so I've ceased that...
Quote: Originally Posted by shannon0218 Ok, couple things. Never, never, never, never, never play tug of war with a puppy you're already having biting issues with--unless you want to work this dog in protection--which I assume is NOT what you want to do. Tug is game one in raising dogs for protection work--this makes it totally what you don't want to do with the family pet. On the high shreek, be VERY careful with how you do this--shreek is NOT the...
Quote: Originally Posted by EdlynsMom Sounds like your puppy has taken on the leader role in the house - better nip it in the bud before she gets bigger! Be firm with her, think about what mama dogs do to their pups that nip them. You might try to hold her muzzle firmly and point it down somewhat. Say "no" in a growl-ish way, but not all out yelling. Have you done other obedience training with her, basics like sit, down, how to walk on a leash? Its a...
I'm back again! My little Doberman, Nadia, is now between three and four months old. She's begun, probably a couple weeks ago, nipping A LOT at us... clothes, hands, whatever. We've tried gently holding her mouth closed and saying "no bite" but it's really not successful. Now, we're getting frustrated by her because it's making it impossible to play with her. She's started (today) trying to jump up and nip at us. I think maybe we screwed up somewhere and she thinks we're...
Signing on! I'll try to better keep up this month Got the tree up already and I hope to get started on my holiday baking this weekend for my gift baskets. I have apple butter, divinity, fudge, & spice cakes to make! Love to smell it all baking but boy I never seem successful at spreading out the work... must do it all at once! LOL
Hey all... haven't had anything to add lately but I'm still reading. I have big issues with expectations. I'm fairly sure I've mentioned it already but it's such a factor in my relationship with my son. My daughter (the oldest) has just always been so much easier to relate to. She's the kind of kid that you get what you expect with her. You expect a lot, you get a lot. Don't expect much? She won't give you much. So when Cole came along, I, of course, parented him the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Proudmomoftwins My two and a half year old twin boys are running me ragged. They require constant attention all day and then I can't even get 6 hours of sleep in a row because they each wake up once a night. We used to cosleep but it turned into chaos. Now when they wake up they crawl into bed with me and sometimes they have long wrestling matches at 4AM saying "my mommy". I was so tired an hour ago I tried to lay down while...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ragana Thanks, that information would be great! My daughter has to keep moving a lot of the time, too. She says she doesn't get to run around and stuff enough at school. She has also been somewhat more nervous since school started, although she loves school, and I think that's exacerbating it. Meant to add this yesterday, Ragana... a good friend of mine that is a teacher says she keeps a cup full of straws on her...