or Connect

Posts by lex99999

I continue to be amazed that women who have a difficult time with homebirth but who persevere are given a big round of "you go mama!" Women who are having doubts about whether or not to go through with homebirth are given the utmost encouragement to talk things over with their midwives and told lots of stories about how homebirths have gone better than hospital births for posters here.   But Kristine's very measured comments about being aware of the risks and the...
Wow, I'm really surprised and disappointed at the response that Kristine has gotten here. Some of these responses seem to have no other purpose but to shame her into not sharing her story with women considering homebirth. She should "take time to move past the pain" before sharing her story? She shouldn't give the other side of the story to women who have "done the research??" How good is this "research" that you've done if it can't withstand the truth?   Why is...
Yup, even in Canada there aren't many OBs who feel comfortable enough with vaginal breech births to attend one, so if her OB isn't comfortable with vaginal breech (and the baby doesn't turn), she may have to look around to see if any in the area have more experience with them. I know it's a huge problem to find an OB to attend breech vaginal births in some areas, so hopefully she'll be able to find someone if she's really set on vaginal birth. 
  This is the same article (and SOGC breech birth guideline) that I just referenced in a different thread.    If you read the guideline, they are definitely not giving a blanket approval to vaginal breech birth. The guideline says that the breech baby should be frank or complete breech, with a flexed or neutral head, the mom's pelvis has to be shown to be adequate (so probably no primips), and the baby has to be between 2500-4000g (5lb 8oz - 8lb 13oz). If those criteria...
This is the same article (and SOGC breech birth guideline) that I referenced earlier in this thread. If you read the guideline, they are definitely not giving a blanket approval to vaginal breech birth. The guideline says that the breech baby should be frank or complete breech, with a flexed or neutral head, the mom's pelvis has to be shown to be adequate (so probably no primips), and the baby has to be between 2500-4000g (5lb 8oz - 8lb 13oz). If those criteria are met,...
Oh, and to answer OP's question, I think CS for breech babies is absolutely justified. My risk tolerance just isn't that high, but your milage may vary.
The reason breech vaginal births are more risky than cepahlic vaginal births is that with cepahalic births, the biggest, least compressible part of the baby engages first, and then the rest of the baby follows after everything has been stretched by the head. With breech, either the buttocks or the feet come out first, so by the time you get to the head, the birth canal might not be stretched enough to accomodate the head. After the baby has been delivered to the neck,...
  This is the last paragraph of the SOGC's decision:  "The society is also cautioning that many breech deliveries will still require a cesarean section, and that a vaginal birth is not recommended for some types of breech positions. In situations where a vaginal delivery is an option, the delivery should take place in a hospital setting. An experienced obstetrician should be present to attend the delivery and to offer a cesarean section if the labour does not progress...
But it's not disrespecting anyone's choice to state the fact that breech vaginal births are riskier than cephalic vaginal births. Even the Johnson and Daviss study that looked at a huge number of homebirths to try to figure out safety statistics found that 2/80 breech babies died. If you know that it's riskier but still want a homebirth, that's all your choice; it's the mother's job to balance the risks and benefits in her particular situation. I just wouldn't want anyone...
  Yes, birth has risks no matter where you are. But some risks are bigger than others. A midwife who agrees to attend a breech birth at home has shown that she's willing to take on a lot of risk before risking her clients out. If that's what you want, knowing the risks of vaginal breech birth, then fine. But I would be concerned as a mother who wants my midwife to risk me out if I show any signs of increased risk.   OP, if you want a midwife who's more cautious and...