or Connect

Posts by AmyY

For about the first six months we had a crib next to our bed where they both slept, and I rotated them in and out of bed to nurse all night. That worked for us at that time because I was quite ill for a looong time and could not wake up to their cries, so I would not have been safe for them to sleep with. At six months DH could tell I was healthy and we got a king sized bed and have never looked back. We're still co-sleeping at almost 4.5 years. We did use the...
Ouchie! Gentle hugs going your way! Have you looked at the latest edition of Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler (maybe misspelled)? I wonder if she discusses this at all... my issues were around infertility so I wouldn't have paid much attention to a section on ovulating more than once per cycle, but that doesn't mean Toni hasn't covered it... All the best and hot pad vibes too.
How was this diagnosed? And if this hyper-ovulation is a condition that results in spontaneous higher order multiples, then we're talking about something that happens once in a blue moon, right? Not six eggs per cycle for years and years until bam! sextuplets... Something just sounds a bit fuzzy to me about this. OK I just did a quick google and basically it's a fancy name for that tendency some women have to ovulate more than one egg per cycle. According to my...
I haven't found any books directly useful with multiples either. Regarding behaviorism, I've gone the other way totally and am now officially an Alfie Kohn fan. In my household it works better and keeps me sane - and it's the only thing that keeps me sane, so I do it. What would childhood be without lots of screaming? Hugs to ya. I bet we're all saving up for the hearing aids we'll need later in life.
Quote: Originally Posted by Owachi My dh does the same thing too...it could just be a guy thing. And I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't have twins. Men. A friend of mine ACTUALLY sent her husband to a hearing clinic. When they asked him why he was there, he said "My wife says I can't hear her." They thought that was pretty funny - and no, he had no hearing issues. Anyway, on topic again, I just don't think two different grades is,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Owachi Just my ds is in EI. DD isn't. He's behind in speech, but that doesn't worry me because my niece never spoke more than two words before she turned 2 1/2 and she is fine now. He was behind crawling, walking........He has speech therapy every week and maybe OT once every two months. I'm more concerned with his attention and understanding. Two months ago he didn't understand no, or anything I said, whereas his twin sis...
Oh - and - for all the pg-with-twins women here, a note from four years into the journey. Twins totally and completely rock!! They change your body, your heart, your soul, your life, your priorities! A bumper sticker a friend spotted said it best: I survived the first year with twins. You can't scare me! Once you've gone through twins you know who you are, you know what you can do in life, you can't be bullied anymore, you just don't put up with any more nonsense,...
Awww - hugs. Now is the time to put on your brass brassiere because I'm here to tell you it doesn't end. I still get the "double trouble" and "you've got your hands full" comments given with the full pitying stare. If you're out and about and you see a mom of young twins with a stony look in her eye and a single-minded purpose about getting where she's going, that's why. It's not you, it's people. You'll be fine, they can see their doctors if they need blood...
So they're both in EI? What are they different on right now? If it's something that's likely to follow them, wouldn't they be more likely to be considered special ed, and depending on severity, either mainstreamed or put in actual separate schools? I'm not sure that different grades in school would cover a continuing delay, KWIM? Perhaps mamas with kiddoes in EI or special ed can answer more clearly. Also - they're not even two yet! Give them a little time...
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaPia Thanks for all the great replies - lots to think about. Also, she asked for me to talk to her and give her info about things. I would NEVER *TELL* somone how to parent, and I sort of resent the implication from moms of multiples that I have done so. And no, I have never had twins, but I HAVE had babies, so I do know a tiny little bit about things like the basics of being in labor, breastfeeding, and co-sleeping (with...