or Connect

Posts by Dacks

Hmm... I might be a few months too late too Spring! I don't normally dawdle so much.   I started going to the UU church a few months ago, and I've been loving it. I always liked the idea of community and friendship people got from church, and thought it wasn't fair that atheists couldn't have that. I wish I had found out about UU much sooner.   Well I put put myself in charge of bringing our garden back to...growing anything at all. It is in a pretty sad state....
  Your steadfast bravery in the face of another woman's victimization is so inspirational *tear*. Using the keyword "silencing" is also very ironic. You would do well to do a search for that word and "rape" and see what comes up, it could address your original question.   ETA: that was the first partly sarcastic thing I've posted in this thread. Everything previous was completely on the level.
  THIS.    
Another huge problem I have with this is that it becomes the community of survivors whose very integrity as human beings is brought into question, who are then responsible for educating people in a respectful manner. Google "rape apologizers" "blame the victim" and other such terms. If you are really interested in a full education on the subject, I invite you to start clicking links at...
I cannot even comprehend how you would think a survivor of sexual assault deserves a guilt trip about her decision to not report her assault. In fact, I might throw up if I try to see it from your point of view, I really might. Maybe she didn't report because she thought some judgmental people would question her morality or her motives or her decency as a human being. Maybe she thought they would blame her for associating with such a 'dark' man in the first place, that...
Oh wow I just started reading this thread and realized it has been going for 4 years and 80 pages!! Some novels are shorter, haha! I would like to have an only child one day. My best friend is an only and she turned out pretty awesome and would also only want to have one herself, so that is a big vote in favor for me. I was the oldest of 4, and I know exactly how impossible it was for my Mom to give us all we needed. 
That is totally the kind of stuff I am thinking about right now, thanks!   Sleep? What is this sleep of which you speak? Is it the dark time that happens when we run out of coffee at the lab? The dark time is scary . (I kid, I kid.)  I do think about how much easier it would be financially to wait until I am secure in a position, but I also know there is no guarantee that will happen, yk?  
Thanks Mambera, I am unpartnered and plan to stay that way. I understand that most people wouldn't choose that, but I have some pretty serious reasons for wanting to be an SMC. I'm not as concerned with biological clock (though it is a factor) or support as I am with making sure I have a chance to dedicate energy and love to a child without getting backlash from work or falling horribly behind. Falling behind I expect, I just don't want it to be career ending at a time...
I came to Mothering earlier this month because I have been formulating my birth plans and parenting philosophy for years, and now that I feel closer to putting them into action, I wanted to build up some community around myself and get to know others who felt similarly to me. Similarly is not identical! If I am in a community where UC and breastfeeding and such are supported, but where I decide not to follow the most hardcore granola crunch version of every philosophy...
  Hi again Ansley. I hope this time people make you feel welcome and/or mind their own business with the snark.