or Connect

Posts by Dacks

I am curious as to when you had your babies, career-wise. Did you find that the timing was ideal, awful, or irrelevant?    I am in my first year of graduate school, and the MS usually takes 2 years in my field. I have decided to start trying to conceive with donor sperm after graduation, whether I get a job or continue with a PhD. Barring serious financial difficulty, I have just decided to make it work. I am 28 now, and I think it will be harder on my career and my...
Thanks, I use Safari too. I tried Firefox just now, and it doesn't work either. I think it is an issue with the page not finished loading. It hangs on 34/35 items (Safari) or "transferring data from cdn.assets.sheknows.com"(Firefox). I'm guessing the ads just can't figure out how to finish loading? Gosh there is so much stuff going on on the sidebars and stuff, no wonder it can't load.
I can't figure out why the button the subscribe to a specific thread does not do anything. No error, no nothing. I can subscribe by posting a reply to the thread, or I can subscribe to the entire forum (as in "Single Parenting"), or I can "follow" a person (creepy!), but I can't just subscribe to a single thread without replying to it first.   Is this intentional, or is it a bug?   Thanks!
  touché  ;)
It is true. We generally go with the idea that as long as you are speaking respectfully in tone, then you are being respectful, and that all ranks deserve respect until it is shown otherwise. When any rank came to my office to get their password reset, I would say yes Sir/Ma'am, and they would say thank you Ma'am. This held true from the shiny new Airman Basic, right up to the Colonel.    
Sir and Ma'am.... If I ever said "Yes Ma'am" to my mother it would have been in a heated, teenager-slamming-doors, kind of argument. We were never forced to say it, so it was definitely a way to say "ok, fine, you're the boss, but I don't have to like it!" It really is all about tone, and underlying meaning!   There are so many different cultures, even within the US and not all regional, that it is really hard translating from one to the other. In the Air Force, it...
  It can really be treated like a grey area, even when it isn't. In my HS, the breakfast time in the cafeteria was pretty much taken over by the "voluntary student led prayer" group. Initially, it was perfectly within reason, religious students would gather in an area of the cafeteria, usually around a table, and someone within it would lead a prayer, they would all amen. I never knew what their prayers were about because it was pretty quiet and unobtrusive. Other...
Absolutely excellent point of view, and I wish all parents approached it as you do. 
Oh man, you ladies have figured me out too quickly! Yep, Rigel the Bird was named after our lovable Dominar. And also yes, I am within walking distance of the only decent Indian place in town. It is kind of fancy, while my apartment is definitely not high-class. Hey, you've got to have your priorities! I almost broke down and went for dinner tonight, but I'm watching my budget.    Oh gosh, I bet he didn't realize until it was too late. You must have been awkwardly...
The purpose of life is to live. Corny yet simple?   Nothing external can tell you what your greater purpose is, you get to define it yourself. The only external definition of right and wrong is the law, and even that is worth questioning and changing. Nothing external can give you your values, you have to search for them within yourself. Something happens, what does your gut say about it? Is that visceral reaction based on biases, even ones you didn't know you had or...