or Connect

Posts by Dacks

It does sound like it belongs in the ancient past, doesn't it? I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it were still like this today.
If you decided to become a Single Mom well before any of your kids were conceived, I would like to hear how you came to that decision. Did experiences with your own parents' relationship, your past partners, or just your own personality influence your decision?   For me, it is kind of all of the above. I was raised by a mostly single Mom. It actually scares me to think someone else would have equal right to raise my child. I also have been married to someone, only to...
2xy, I was in the Air Force and went to basic in Fall 2001.   Wow, that Navy nurse sounds awful. I am disappointed, but not surprised, that she was allowed to run the department. 
I found this on a UU pamphlet on helping kids deal with grief: "Even though someone's body dies, the love we feel never has to die. Our love remembers them forever."     It could help to tell your kids that the babies and young children in the hospital who died were in pain, and now they are not in pain. Their parents remember them and love them with all their hearts, and that their short stay in life meant very much to the people that knew and loved them.
I actually often spent 'band prayers' standing with the others in the circle, while most of my fellow nonbelievers were wandering around bored and left out. I felt I could filter the message, get what I needed out of it, and still feel like it meant something to me to be united with the band. I had felt uplifted, it was homecoming, the team was winning for once. While they bowed I stared reverently at the stars, soaking up the energy, the field show was going to be...
I apologize for saying necessary, there are always other ways of dealing with a thing, but my uncle effectively and permanently impressed upon his child that running at moving vehicles was an absolutely unacceptable action that would have gotten her killed.    
OH WOW THIS. This was the most awful thing, and my grandmother said it *all the time!* I mean I had a physical reaction to reading this right now. I always remember she used it when I didn't understand what I had done so wrong to get one spanking, or to be put in the corner, so I was upset, and she was threatening to just whip me as hard as she could. Bleh!   Sometimes spanking is necessary, and can be done effectively by a loving parent. But I simply do not get the...
How lucky for you to live in a time when socket protecters exist and you have the financial capability to own them. Frankly, you never met my ornery, stick a penny in a light socket to see teen Mom jump, little brothers (circa 1986). Constant vigilance, ha!  
I had a variety of experiences with spanking as a child.   My grandmother was fond of the spatula. If it was minor infraction we got plastic. If we put her in a really foul mood we were sent back to the kitchen to get the metal one. I find this kind of punishment cruel.   My brothers were routinely un-phased by spankings. Oh, they would cry and howl and beg to not get spanked, but then would often repeat whatever behavior got them spanked within 10 minutes. One...
Please look into Health at Every Size. Being overweight is a health factor, not a doom and gloom indicator that you must be unhealthy. If you are eating well, exercising, and not suffering actual health problems, then you are healthy and your weight is the weight that is normal for your body. Every person has a "set point" or normal range of weight for them, and I'm guessing by your details that your range is 170-200 ish. The weight of 150 you achieved was due to...