or Connect

Posts by Village Mama

Strep popped into my mind for some reason. Like PANDAS... has he had a virus or sore throat lately? My son is the same age as yours, and I do notice that certain behaviors are amped up through hormonal shifts. My son has stims that are similar to what you are describing... his sensory sensitivities really amp up through these periods as well.
Youtube was my best friend ever when learning to spin. The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning also has all of the info you will ever need! Including how to prepare flax and nettle fiber if you ever want to explore that! I went from making a quicky recycled material spindle and using commercially prepared roving, to wheel spinning and preparing( washing, hand carding etc) local wool straight from the farm, dyeing both with chemical and natural dyes... in about a...
Hmm. We have a lot of verbal stims in our house. I admit to redirecting sometimes... I happen to be super overloaded by noise! Most of the time the boys are completely unaware that they are doing it at all( If I mention it they deny it!) . I have taken a bit of a different approach though... unusual! I have encouraged the things that they find self soothing, and try to find a close " socially acceptable " match.Like finding a spinning toy that matched the need to whip...
I was worried that the Ipad was going to be gimmicky. We just received one last month through an autism program and I am completely sold. We don't use it for communication but have seen the AWESOME looking communication programs available for it. We have been using it for schooling. I pile all sorts of educational apps on it and it is super easy to use. My youngest son who has a speech delay spends a huge amount of time using the dragon dictation program. He will say a...
My son repeats the last words of a question in the exact same way you described. He is 10 now and has done it since he was really young. He IS on the spectrum... but I think that this behavior is more of a processing issue. His processing speed tested in the bottom 1%.
I see a lot of toddlers around here on the balance bikes... they are brilliant. I think they would have saved us a LOT of grief!!! I fully agree that this woul;d be the way to go.
Just regarding the green coffee beans... We buy ours from a local store for 5 bucks a pound. I know people buy them online for a similar price. A company that roasts beans actually sells them to me. I use a rocket stove or a camp stove and a cast iron pan.( and just stir stir stir!) You can look online to see what you look for in terms of when your roast is done. In the summer I sometimes open the windows wide and do it indoors... it is smokey though! It turns out super...
My eldest just received an Aspergers diagnosis... I don't think that he will lose his as he still seems to meet the new criteria( It even seems like the psych worded everything so that it will be clear when things change as well). It will all be pretty subjective I bet. It will be nice when there are descriptions out there for parents translated  into " parent speak". Then it all seems much clearer when you understand the breakdown of the wording( even if it seems...
We spend about $1000 a month on groceries, including toiletries( TP , laundry detergent, dish soap, etc) for a family of four. We are all Gluten free but I have been grain free for about three years. We also don't do dairy( my hubby has cream for his coffee) or soy or preservatves for health reasons. We shop at a big box store for our veggies , a few canned goods, oils . We shop at a local butchers for meat... something between conventional and free range/ organic....
Seems to have a genetic component in our case as well. I was 20 when I had my first son who is on the spectrum.