or Connect

Posts by jgallagher66

I will also be no longer posting to or visiting mothering. It's a shame but this is very underhanded.
I agree with everything MeeMee said. I'm confused about why she is getting so many antibiotics. Is she testing positive for strep? I suggest a probiotic. Multiple courses of antibiotics will wreak havoc on her intestinal balance of beneficial and harmful bacteria. This will in turn effect her immune response and make her more susceptible to getting sick. It becomes a vicious cycle.
I didn't bathe them too often. Every 4 days sounds good. You can always do a sponge bath. If you bathe them too much they tend to get drier skin. Whatever works to keep them clean and comfortable. I avoid soap and prefer just water most of the time.
You sound really worried. Is he in pain? Does he have a fever? I have never seen a brown discharge in any of my sons and I asked my husband and he couldn't remember anything like that ever but if one of my sons did have that symptom and were not in pain or feverish I wouldn't panic. If there is a high fever or extreme fussiness I would seek help sooner though. I would first try calling the answering service for my pediatrician and tell her my concerns. Our office always...
I had 4 of my 5 children by cesarean. Number 2 was a vbac. I would have liked to not had any c-sections but that was not the way things went for me. I had no complications from any of my surgeries including the fourth. They were all routine and recovery went well. The third c-section was a vertical incision because of an emergency situation. That meant that I could no longer even consider a vbac so number 4 was a planned c-section. It didn't end up scheduled since my...
My experience with these nurse lines is they often tell you to see your doctor because they are so worried about being sued. Of course if you're worried you should see your doctor but I agree with Red Pajama that kids get sick. I feel that often people go to the doctor too soon and take unnecesssry medicine. I look for signs that things are getting worse and instead of better or that complications are setting in. We do go to the doctor. I just wouldn't go for a fever...
I have a 17 year old and a 20 year old and I think you're right that nothing they have done shocks me like my parent's were shocked by my and my siblings' behaviors. I'm just less sheltered than my parents were. The world is wide open with the media and the internet. Even if we didn't behave a certain way, we've seen it so it's less shocking to us. It's always a little unsettling when I find out that they've engaged in risky behaviors but I admit that nothing they've done...
I definately wait unless there are other symtoms that concern me. Most of the time it is viral and the doctor can't do much anyway and we really try to avoid unnecessary medications especially antibiotics. I'm not a big fan of over the counter medications like tylenol or motrin either. I have used them for very high fevers but most of the time we just go with rest and lots of fluids.
I am not an expert on this by any means but one thing that occurred to me that you might want to try since you did have to take all of those antibiotics is some probiotics. They seem to really help immune function and antibiotics really mess with the balance of bacteria in your gut. I'm also a huge believer in the healing power of fruits and vegetables especially those high in vitamin C and lots of greens. If you are having trouble packing them into your diet, consider...
One of our local libraries has museum passes that you can check out. They have a family pass for the children's museum, the natural history museum, the zoo, the botanical garden and others so you can go to these places for free! You can't reserve these so you just get lucky if they happen to be in when you go but it is a wonderful thing and has given our family an opportunity to do things that we might not get to do otherwise. I have to add a disclaimer that I was a...