or Connect

Posts by element2012

I did realize today that it seems to be an escalated response to me not being present and paying attention when nursing. If I'm all into the computer, etc, she will get rambunctious. She has a whole range of ways she now tries to get my attention while nursing, acrobatics, singing the alphabet, and now hitting.  I've always read while nursing and I guess she is letting me know she needs me to be present with her now.
Hugs!! That sounds so terrible, I'm sorry you went through that today. Do you have a good relationship with whoever is going to deliver your new baby, ie - doctor, midwife? I would ask them for a recommendation.  When I had my daughter, my midwife give me a list of recommended peds and I also asked on a local crunchy meetup group's mailing list.
My girl just started saying her name yesterday... that's currently my favorite :)
My DD has picked up the not so cute habit of wanting to hit me while nursing. She started off smacking my chest, I think she thinks the thud sound is funny. I always tell her "no hitting, pat pat pat" and direct her hand to pat instead. A few times now she has hit me in the face while I'm nursing her in bed, essentially still asleep, in the morning.  Talk about a rude awakening! I'll either redirect and if she doesn't stop then I latch her off and she usually runs off to...
Sassy, here is the video I saw ages ago about potty training at 16 months: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwjYDmH1m3E   The gist is to do the naked thing and teach her what she's doing.  I think I may do the bare bum thing for a day or two and see how far we can get. No pressure, but my instinct tells me she's ready to learn and I don't want to miss an opportunity.
Yes my DD most often holds her pee during sleep also, if only I could get her to sit on the potty when she wakes.  I will keep trying, I think if she would just do it one time she will change her attitude about it.  I definitely would prefer that she train by two for the exact reasons you mention Judi. It's doubtful she'll wean by 2 so we can at least have potty training behind us! And you're exactly right, we were all trained by 2 so I don't know why we wait longer now...
I just thought of another little something that is saving me now: I pull a chair into the kitchen when I'm cooking, cleaning, doing whatever in the kitchen, whatever it is, she wants to see it.  Then I fill little bowls with a little water and give her a couple of spoons to "stir it for me".  She thinks she's cooking, then she wants to eat it and I can almost make it though cooking without a meltdown. Yay!
So DD is 17 months, and I remember seeing a video online awhile ago about potty training at 18 months using the bare bum method. I'm interested in this, but not sure how to decide if this is a good time to start. When DD was 12 months, I would put her on her potty after a nap and she would pee happily.  Since 14 months, she has not peed on the potty at all, and not for me not trying. In the last month she has taken an interest in the toilet in general. Specifically, she...
Thanks mamas, she is down to one nap now, and I can't imagine dropping that!! Judging by the sheer number of posts about crummy sleep in 1 - 2 year olds on these forums, this is a touchy time.  To save my sanity, she stays in the bed for now and can have the boob whenever she wants! May try night weaning again in a month or two...
Mine is a fair bit younger at 17 months, but I would guess that a change in demeanor like that is related to a milestone of some kind. He's learning to do something new which is making him more independent from you and it's a little scary to him. Do you have a carrier? If not get one and save your back, lol! My dd is like this right now, wanting to be carried all the time. I wouldn't mind, except she's sleeping terribly and I think she needs more activity but when I take...