or Connect

Posts by Blt178

This is a speech that Malcolm Gladwell delivered at the University of Pennsylvania on the topic of "proof."  Note that this speech isn't actually ABOUT vaccination, but it is so very relevant and in many places felt like the simple substitution of words could make it a vaccination discussion.   It was shared by a local ND on a FB group I belong too... thought I would share it forward since I found it very compelling.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWaPXzTDEDw
Today I was walking my 4 yr old daughter home from school when we passed a little boy not much older than her in a wheel chair. Being four, she not so discretely said in a loud voice "Mommy, does that boy have a broken leg?" The boy's mother (or caretaker for all I know) overheard and seemed to zoom in to hear my response with a bit of a tight-lipped expression. So here I was, right IN the moment scrambling to think of the most sensitive way to address her question. Wat...
You've had some very good, well-thought out responses here and just wanted to pop in and say:   1) I heartily second the recommendation for Dr Laura Markham's book.  When I first read some of her blog posts upon hearing about her, I kind of guffawed... parenting without time-outs?  Achieving agreement from the child without yelling?  Ha!  But after spending some time with the ideas and then reading her book, I am a big fan.  My daughter is also 'spirited' and I went...
Thanks every one for your comments... I am not sure what magic ticket I was hoping for and know you are all right... night weaning will quite naturally be tricky and unlikely completely cry-free.  I mean, he cries when I won't give him my wallet to disassemble so can't imagine how bed-time would be different. lol...  However, tracyamber you gave a really good idea with TALKING to him about it since he really understands a lot!  I also put his sister's Gro Clock in his room...
Ok. I feel likeI have been very patient with his night wakings. My 20 month old has almost always woken up regularly at night since birth... 1-3 hours max. I keep saying "he'll sleep through the night any time now..." But I am losing hope! At present he is waking every 2 hours. I am a stay at home mom so I know he is getting a good amount of snuggles during the day. I have tried to offer other methods of soothing at night in hopes of breaking his reliance on the boob to...
Does your 2 yr old NEED an iPad?  No.  That said, we do have one here at our house and naturally once she got older we looked at some baby apps that SAVED our butts during cross-country flights to see Grandma.  We also let her have iPad games in the morning to keep her occupied while we both raced to get ready for work.  It saved us our sanity on those specific scenarios.  And I did notice that she learned things very quickly because of the immediate cause/effect of...
Hi! Didn't see this until now! You are in Ontario too I see! It is so nice to know there are other non-vaxxers in the immediate area.... Makes me feel less... Alien? Lol... I have focused my efforts on learning to naturally boost my little one's immune systems through diet mostly... Trying to learn to cook from scratch, avoid processed foods, seek out nutritionally dense options, supplementing d3 and occassionally SA if there's a sniffle on the horizon.... Though one of...
FullMoonMama... that is just what I decided to do.  Found this list of people online offering their grains and am going to take a chance.  (Since I don't personally know anyone who has done their own!) :)   http://www.torontoadvisors.com/suppliers?keywords=canada
Just tried the CulturesForHealth.com site since it kept coming up in this thread as a good source and was excitedly adding sprouting seeds and other implements to my Milk Kefir order.... and the cheapest shipping option was $37!  The entire order was only $42 to start with.  I have tried the powdered starter from a local health food store and it's great but haven't successfully grown grains out of it PLUS read somewhere that the probiotic concentration is much greater when...
Another 12 hours yielded a more kefir-like consistency... Phew! I actually added the starter right after I heated the milk to near boil... I got cocky with my second batch, thinking I remembered the steps in order and forgot to wait for it to cool. (I am not always that vacant-headed... Two small kids and not a lot of sleep... Sheesh) That's why I was questioning this batch... It wasn't thickening as fast as the first I made. Also, another newbie question... Can I...