or Connect

Posts by lulahigley

Getting her to help out around the house is impossbile, she loathes chores, I have enough trouble trying to get her to take care of her own spaces and belongings. I believe homework comes first. We are taking her out of the after school program and putting in the homework club. I believe that will help her get some out of the way before she gets home and before she unwinds too much that we can't get her back on focus. As far as consequences at the school, this school...
Whatsnextmom: yes we have talked with the after school program director and he says that they do 30 min of homework time, but clearly she is not doing anything in that 30 minutes or they have too many kids to keep an eye on, I don't know.   LynnS6: We tried taking the pressure off homework before though, we would talk about our day, take the dog down to the mailboxes to check the mail, let her start her homework when she's ready and she would, all on her own, then 6...
We both work until 5, she gets off school at 3:15 and stays at the school for after school program. There is a study room there that the kids can use, and some of the teachers stay after on certain days to offer help. BUT she won't use those things. She does the other activities there. Even if I remind her in the morning, she always "forgets".
Yes, we still have family movie nights and hang out together on the weekends, I'm not saying she grounded to her room 24/7, but when are trying to help her understand her homework, and she cops an attitude and refuses to try, then I think it's only fair that privileges get taken away. I don't know what else to do. We'd like her to do her homework at the dining table, but she is laying on the floor of the kitchen, getting in the way of me cooking dinner, teasing the cat,...
I want to know if we are being too hard on our daughter about homework, grades, and consequences. She is twelve and in the sixth grade. Let me first describe our routine and rules, etc. Then I will describe how that is not working. First, when it comes to grades, she is expected to get C's. The consequence for not having C's is loss of privileges (which is telephone, TV, computer use, and video games), which also means, no outings or activities on the weekends (school...
Yes, I agree with you completely. She does get up in the morning and throw her bedding in the wash before we leave for work/shcool. But the problem is in the evenings she forgets to put her bed back together. The rule is that no TV until homework is done, and she's had a bath and put her bed together and is all ready for bed. Because what will happen is she forgets to do anything until bedtime and then starts doing all this stuff and it takes her an hour to get ready for...
Yes she is doing better. I think she has been enabled her whole life and people have felt sorry for her, too sorry. And also not holding her accountable. We have switched to changing the sheets in the morning while it's still fresh on her mind and remembers wetting the bed. Also there is no chance of her forgetting to wash her sheets that night after we come home and then not having time to do it. Her bedtime is 9 and we cut off drinks at dinner which is usually 6 or...
Okay so things started getting better once I backed off a little. She has been doing her own laundry without being told. She started making it a week without wetting the bed and was very proud of herself. Then she started hiding it again. During the week, I used to ask her at night if she had any laundry to do and then I just let her decide for herself if she needed to wash anything. The other night I went into her room and it stunk. I told her it stunk and I asked her...
We've tried medication and that didn't make a difference. Some poeple say it's biological while others say it's behavioral. I need to get to the bottom of this so I can help her overcome it. The docs would say there's nothing medically wrong with her and have ruled that out. I am supposed to do all the right things with her, like make sure she doesn't have any drinks after a certain time, make sure she goes right before bed, wake her up to go in the middle of the night,...
Help! I have an eleven year old girl who wets the bed. I was waking her up in the middle of the night until she refused one night, and said "You can't make me!" So I bought her an alarm across the room but I don't think she's always using it every night, or if she's just shutting it off and going back to bed. I try telling her to make sure she uses the bathroom right before bed and she says "I will if I need to" and just falls asleep without going. I make her do her own...