or Connect

Posts by BeagleSmuggler

I don't think the perinatal psychiatry specialization is likely to be Canadian specific. Our designations tend to be in line with the US and UK systems. The hospital I'm at is Mt. Sinai which if you look up the Canadian one is the single most specialized hospital for maternal and neo-natal care in Canada. So, I don't know if other Canadian hospitals offer this support. What I have found is that although the US system is much more expensive for individuals your system...
I posted this in the rainbow thread but thought I would post out here as well:   Didn't think I'd write this but: my hospital is being super awesome! We can't go the midwife route because we've been put into the high risk category. We're at the super high risk hospital in Toronto (Canada's largest city) and I've been really worried about how to try for a natural birth at that hospital. A natural birth is very important to me for a number of reasons. In addition to it...
Didn't think I'd write this but: my hospital is being super awesome! We can't go the midwife route because we've been put into the high risk category. We're at the super high risk hospital in Toronto (Canada's largest city) and I've been really worried about how to try for a natural birth at that hospital. A natural birth is very important to me for a number of reasons. In addition to it being better for the baby and bonding, I'm also very concerned about my mental...
I've just finished reading:  Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds by Cynthia Gabriel   I highly recommend this book for anyone who knows they must go the hospital route but wants a natural birth. This book was very reassuring and focused on seeing medical staff and caretakers as part of your team, how to invite them into your vision of birth in a positive non-confrontational way and how to stick up for your birth choices and desires in a positive and...
Had my first OB appointment today. We've had several scans and tests etc.. because we're IVF conception and high risk. But this was the first one where we actually met with OBs who are part of the practice that we're with. It was a great experience. I really want to have a natural birth and I was worried about having to be in a hospital. Fortunately the staff at the OB clinic are extremely supportive of natural birth. They actually suggested I hire a doula (which I have)...
had my first appointment at the OB clinic today. It went extremely well. We did hear the heart beat. The main reason I'm happy is that we are in a high risk hospital and I want a natural birth if possible. So, I've been very worried about how the hospital might react to that given that they have a high rate of c-sections and interventions. The great news is they are extremely supportive of natural birth. They are very family oriented and even suggested I hire a doula...
I managed to score a play pen, three pairs of maternity jeans and two corduroy pants off of freecycle yesterday. I also got a lot of maternity cloths, mostly spring/fall from freecycle a few months back.   Part of me is not sure what to do about the baby shower thing. There's not chance I'm getting out of that we're one of the last to have a baby in our circle of friends and it's going to potentially be four baby showers between his friends, my friends, our gamer...
oh, this is the thread for me. Apparently I've turned into my father. Which basically means my new mantra has been "how long is this kid going to use this?... What!?... okay, how do we get that for free?"   So we've agreed not to buy anything until we're past week 20. But, there was no agreement about freecycle. So here are the things I've managed to get for free from freecycle so far:   - Dresser - 3 deep drawers, great condition. - Change table - lots of...
Oasis - I'm not sure if you're in the US, I'm Canadian so there's no cost associated with the testing for us. I'm also IVF and high risk, so it's a routine procedure for me.   The visual NT examination is about 85% accurate, if the visual NT is covered I'd be surprised if the blood screening is not covered (but then the US system baffles me). The screening with the blood test is about 92% accurate. When they do the two together you get a ratio probability. For...
Just heard from our nursing support. Our EDD has been bumped up to February 13, 2014.