or Connect

Posts by traycanadian

I love PEI too! On the same trip last summer we spent 7 days near Cavendish. Whenever we go down east we always fantasize about how we could figure out a way to live there! 
I love that! I remember the moment my dh (who tests drugs for big pharma; needless to say it was not easy to convince him that no-vax was for us) proudly told someone he works with that we don't vax. I tend to keep it on the DL but he very calmly explained why and addressed every objection calmly and logically (and scientifically). I was so proud and happy!   We, too, laugh at all the flu shot signs on the sides of the roads. They are everywhere here. You can get a...
I know for sure I won't be subjecting myself or my child to a 5 to 7 second full-body dose of radiation so the TSA can see us naked. I have marginally less problem with the option of the pat-down but I'm struggling with how to explain to my 7-year-old why it's only ok for his parents, his doctor and now a complete stranger at the airport to come anywhere near his private parts.    How are you handling this? I'm seriously considering canceling our air travel plans...
My husband, a microbiologist, employed in the pharma research field, and a lazy reader, wanted to vax our baby 7 years ago. I gave him a list of reading material but the one he liked was Randall Neustadter's The Vaccine Guide because it outlined risk vs. benefit for each and every vaccine/disease. Today he is completely anti-vax and more vocal about it than I would ever be.
There is a very good chance your dh has natural immunity to CP. Many people, including me, were exposed to CP as children and developed immunity without showing any clinical signs of the disease. Everybody had it back then so your dh was probably exposed to it at some point.
Yes, it actually is illegal to send chicken pox through the USPS. I definitely would have it documented to avoid having to miss potentially weeks, even months, of school down the road if there is an outbreak. We went to our very non-vax friendly naturopath and she confirmed it was CP and gave us a letter. No, you don't have to report it to the "authorities" but if you report it to the school (like I did, out of consideration - big mistake) they will likely contact...
Don't give up! It took me 4 cycles to love my Diva cup. Definitely trim the end and make it comfortable for you. I also discovered that, while I was trying to force it to be straight, it naturally wanted to tilt to the side. So I let it. That's the way I'm shaped. Everyone is different. After I insert it, I give it a sqeeze to make sure I get an airlock. I always give it a little tug afterwards. If there is resistance, that means it's in properly. If it just kind of slides...
Quote: Originally Posted by JMJ Not to get too off topic, but I find that interesting. Here in the States, one concern we have with government involvement in healthcare is what will happen to our choices about vaccines, etc. I guess it could go either way. What makes Canadian doctors more vax friendly? I just don't trust the same could happen in the US. Our government is too tied to the vaccine companies. I'm concerned about that too. It's...
Quote: Originally Posted by orca It seems to be a little more common in Canada. Our GP doesn't even give vaccines! She says if people want them so badly they can take their kids to the public health unit. I love that it is not even an issue when we visit! I should have mentioned that I am in the U.S. I'm Canadian but happen to live south of the border. We used to see a pediatrician who was tolerant but always pushed at every appointment. We...
Took DS for a checkup with our FP, mainly to get a referral for something else. DS has only seen her once before, a couple of years ago. When she was looking over his file she said "so, he's never had any immunizations?" and my husband and I both said "no". She replied "cool". That was the end of it.I had to ask my dh later if i'd heard correctly, I was so stunned. Just had to share a positive Doc story!