or Connect

Posts by TuiNZ

I would HATE to think that other parents think my DS1 is being rude when he doesn't say 'hi' back, without knowing absolutely anything about him. .. In fact I would consider that to be quite rude. Such off-hand comment reminds me of a friend who has a severely disabled 8 year old and once she put him in a stroller, instead of a wheel chair, in order not to draw too much attention to him and his disability. Well, it didn't work as, almost immediately, she heard someone...
Ahhh I really feel for you! Not because I think there is anything wrong with your son (from what you've described) but because I have been there and know what it is like to worry about your child's development, read the internet, one day think they're fine, the next worry again...   My DS is almost 3 and a year ago I was exactly in your shoes. By the time he was 24 months old he had maybe 10-15 words. He understood what we were saying to him, he played properly, was...
I worried about my DS a lot until a few months after he turned 2 because he did not have many words, was obsessed with Thomas and was quite shy. He is almost 3 now and my worries are all gone. He is still an introvert and "slow to warm up". But he is doing well at daycare (plays with other kids well). He speaks in three languages and some days he doesn't shut up. He is not as obsessed with Thomas anymore and he has moved on to other toys and characters too (he goes...
I feel like I should provide an update to this post, as when I google and come across posts like these I often wonder "so what happened? were they OK?", etc.   DS is 25 months old now and WOW... has his language exploded or what?! I really found it hard to believe when I was reading other people saying their toddler's language exploded after 2, but yes, it's happened. He picks up new words every day, in all three languages (although he mixes them for now) and puts...
I don't think you should worry about eye contact. When my DS was a newborn I remember discussing this with a few other mums. We were all worried our babies were autistic because they were more interested in looking at their surroundings than at us... and in all the books we'd read how newborns love looking at their mothers. So naturally we were all worried. Well... a month or two down the track (can't remember now) my DS started having great eye contact. Give her time...
Our DS (22 months) just started doing this too. He's never been a great sleeper but would generally wake up and then go straight back to sleep even if it meant sleeping with us. But lately he's been waking up around 3 am, and can't settle until around 5-5:30. He won't cry but would toss and turn constantly and kick with his legs. I am at a loss as to what's causing this... also thought it could be molars, but can't feel anything yet. Interesting theory regarding...
We just transitioned our DS into a single bed at 22 months of age. I don't think he even noticed but could be because he'd quite often end up in our bed in the middle of the night so he's used to it (never been a great sleeper). I'm not worried about him falling out. I just tuck his duvet in and put some chairs on the side.  
I wouldn't worry at all. My DS is 22 months old and has a handful of words he can say in two different languages and some signs. He babbles all the time and has conversations with us in babble. He is also on the shy side and is slow to warm up to strangers. My theory is that shy kids tend to wait until they're 100% confident before they do/ say something. I say this because I was shy as a kid and didn't start talking until 2,5. I think your mum is too quick to jump to a...
Thank you all for your replies and recommendations!   Well after spending this past weekend with DS all my worries have disappeared. He seemed like a different kid, and I don't know if it's just him growing up a little or spending time at Storytime. We went to a 2nd birthday party in the weekend for someone from our anti-natal group. It was at a hired venue for kids, absolutely PACKED, and he LOVED it. I honestly didn't know where he was half of the time. He enjoyed...
My DS is 22 months old and growing up being exposed to three different languages. He has a few words like "tata", "baba", "amam", "Thomas", "bath"... and some signs, but not as much as some other kids his age. His receptive language is great. I've just posted on the "special needs children" board as he is also very shy and timid. So part of me thinks that he says a word only when he knows he'll get it right. For example, if I ask him to blow into a whistle, if he's not...