or Connect

Posts by Mama Amie

I can't stay in our current house. Rent alone is more than I can earn each month. :-/ It looks to me like I will need to arrange to start the kids in school/daycare before divorcing so I can change my schedule. This is probably best anyway, so I can have potential to upgrade my status at work and split custody more equally. As much as I wish our current dynamic could work, it just won't. Thanks for the responses so far. I'm still interested to hear more if anyone...
I am currently a married working homeschooling mother of 2 (ages 5 & 2). My husband and I have carefully arranged our work schedules so that I have them from waking up until he gets home M-F, then I go to work in the evenings and weekends. We use no school or childcare currently. We're planning to divorce, and I'm very interested in finding a suitable arrangement for our separate households. I am a grocery store clerk in a very expensive city, but my job is flexible...
Today, DH did a little text "check in" during a struggle with DS. I was home w/ kids, him at work. I responded honestly that one child was napping, and the other was being really challenging. He responded with "at least DD is getting her rest". Ok... I get the urge to highlight the bright side, but it feels patronizing when it comes from the "outside". If we were both in the house having the struggle, it would feel like comradery or a good team spirit. But coming...
Hey there, everyone! I've been absent awhile. Glad to see you're all having adventures and learning so much along the way. For us, we're easing out of a pretty big transition period. I started working a 30 hour/week job at the local food co-op grocery store. It has been amazing for me- all the adult time and the feeling of autonomy I get from not chasing little ones during that time. The kids are handling it pretty well, getting so much time with dad and getting used...
I knew I wanted to homeschool long before I even considered actually becoming a parent. I begged my parents to homeschool me. I am not sure as to my reasons as a child, but the love of HS was heavily reinforced when I found that all my favorite adult friends were homeschooled. They were, no doubt, weird to some people. But to me, they were the most charismatic, creative, outgoing, empathetic, compassionate, and self aware humans I'd ever known. They were not all from...
I'm converted. I am now fully on board with being a parade participant, but would certainly be mindful of where my family might be unwelcome (super racy public displays) and where it is appropriate to be presen. Thanks for the perspective and info, friends! Looking forward to trying for next year.
Agreeing with Filly. If you really break it down to manipulative=bad or good, it has to be on a case by case basis. Pretty much every single thing we do is technically manipulative- walking, choosing between options, setting boundaries, etc. Obviously some things must be done, and I certainly think that's ok. The grey areas do tend to revolve around manipulation involving other people. I feel that of we speak and act in ways that are genuine, open, and without being...
I agree with the PPs who differentiate whether strewing is tied in with possible expectations. Surely those who would be disheartened by a strewn item gone ignored are also likely to be more manipulative in general. I will sometimes bring in a new item and just leave it on a shelf or table to be discovered by chance. I certainly wouldn't get upset or start hinting and coercing my kids toward using it. Unused things often get donated out of the house unless I think...
I also feel like going on a little tangent now. Why don't people publicly bash Justin Timberlake or Bieber or all the other white people making sexy songs and dancing sexy dances that some would consider to be "black" in style? They do plenty of sexually charged dance routines that involve women of various ethnicities being "demeaned" by the very exhibit of faux sex onstage and in videos. Right? And that creepy song by Robin Thicke is definitely an issue all on its...
I understand how some would obviously be offended by all that. And I can even see how some would find it racially offensive, but I fail to see how a person of her age doing that performance would be considered racIST. Racially insensitive on a grand scale, sure. But that is just the sort of nuance that most 20 year olds don't quite grasp. I have met very few 20 year old extroverts who aren't wrapped up in trying to be bold and loud and a bit edgy. If she genuinely...