or Connect

Posts by cheery

in one of his books (maybe what does it mean to be educated?) alfie kohn lists schools that have no grades (i think) and probably no homework either. 
In the interests of getting more group activity with other kids, I joined my local hs group. So far we haven't made to any program but I am still get all the messages on the group list.     There are a lot of messages about problems people are having.  I stop myself from replying because I think I am coming from a more self-organized-learning end of the spectrum.  If someone says, "should I allow my 9th grade daughter to listen to music while reading?" or "I am...
Kathy Tavormina, there is a picture in this book, that is said to be suitable for age 4 and up, though I did not see it till my dd was 7 and even then was a little nervous, but that may just be me:   It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends.   Also, have you seen this?         Wits - Julia Sweeney "Sex Ed." Monologue -...
We have had this happen  ... that and any serious expression of boredom is my alarm to see that we make our lives more interesting.  Get out and do things.   Or get supplies to do things at home.  Doesn't come naturally to me but if I want my daughter to enjoy the freedom of unschooling, then we had better do enjoyable things.    When we do those things then there is no boredom, insecurity, etc.   The one time she said this "I don't know anything" - we were visiting...
I actually joined specifically for info on EC.  That option is not listed and I did not want to check cloth diapering so I guess I will go ahead and say whole package.  I preferred Commune as a title ... 
I actually joined specifically for info on EC.  That option is not listed and I did not want to check cloth diapering so I guess I will go ahead and say whole package. 
61 months,  one child. 
In our case we live frugally, and I personally believe that adds to our learning as well as gets us out of the house, and also has made us explore what is available locally, since there is only so far we can go on foot, on bike and on our very limited local bus service.   I have also taken part-time work now and then.  Sometimes I do it from home, sometimes I have to schedule around dh or ask my mom to help. I don't leave dd with my mom that often, in fact I could...
Oh!  See it is her own summer camp that she is doing with her kid.  I think a few others might also be joining on some days, but she set it up for her kid.    I find this esp amusing because me and my dd pretend we are in a camp too.  We have imaginary campers with us.....
Hi - there were many points in your post that had me nodding (vigorously) and relating (wholeheartedly) and giggling (proving that one can indeed, look back and laugh at such things like that!) but in the interests of not waiting for later when I have a chance to post a long reply I would just like to say that ...   I think that if you decouple your need to be able to have time to yourself from her need to go out and explore, then you can find ways to meet your need...