or Connect

Posts by Mommay

I agree with JaneS. My diet was pretty crappy when I first started bf. I let my nutrition totally go after giving birth because all the LLL literature told me that all the baby needs is fats, protein, and one other thing I'm forgetting, which can be gotten from my body. I've learned better since then. I hope you can find a diet that works for you.
Mollybeesmama. I'm pro sunscreen too. People from traditional cultures in my neighborhood do not go out in the summer sun. If their children do go out, they are vigilantly kept in the shade. I personally like to go to the beach and park and other places during the summer, but I feel that I should at least wear sunscreen. I do go without it if the sun's not too hot or if the area is shady. so I'm kind of moderate. The vit c moisturizer is perfect. It is light, doesn't...
Quote: Originally Posted by krismarie i don't think so... i believe most meat used in schools is still irradiated. certain states and certain school districts don't use this (but that's not saying the meat is good). I know in my state (VT) there are organizations working to get local foods in the schools but it's a slow process. i'm interested in hearing more from other mamas... I don't even remember the irradiation part of it. But it's...
Something to keep in mind is that A, D, magnesium, and saturated fats help with the utilization of calcium. Did you say your child was drinking soy milk? Something to consider is that soy can be controversial. If you do a search, you'll find a number of threads on this topic. Here is a recent thread on soy: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=606619
mz libbie, it's perfectly normal to have fine lines at 24. My mom told me that when I was in my twenties, I had lots of wrinkles. She's "honest". I didn't realize in my twenties that I have dry skin!!! I was still using my teen oil-free moisturizer. Since using oils and shea butter, my skin looks less wrinkled now at 34 than 24,though my vanity still keeps me on the look out. I was reading up on shea butter. It sounds perfect for you. First of all, it is dense, so it...
There is a thread right now in the Traditional Foods forum about dental health and nutrition. Apparently, teeth can be remineralized. Take a look.
Around here, lunch is not a big deal. We have a big breakfast and big dinner, but around lunchtime, I can't bring myself to do a whole big thing. We've been snacking through the day, and around 2 pm, I make ds a smoothie. That'll hold him til dinner. I'm kind of bad, but ds has been in a rice cracker phase, so I'll give him that with the justification that it's mostly just rice. Our standby is apple slices, cheese, and nuts. Ds also loooooves the holiday pecan recipe in...
Quote: Originally Posted by caedmyn I imagine she used dairy at least because generally Asians don't do as well on dairy as Caucasians but do better on grains like rice (not sure about wheat) because of body type/metabolism differences. Yes, dairy and wheat seem to be two foods with definite racial implications. I actually gave up wheat and feel the better for it. I am basically lactose intolerant, but can tolerate small amounts in my coffee...
Thanks for the link Nikki and Ridentmama. I feel lucky because I don't have a single cavity in all of my 30+ years, and I think it has to do with growing up on a "traditional" diet. My family was pretty poor especially in the first 5 years of my life, so we did not have access to a lot of high quality foods. I have a few crooked teeth as a result, but I think whatever I did get was adequate enough to prevent any major problems. Then we came to the US and fell into some of...
I agree with pp. Eggs are a good source of protein, fats, and vitamins. I actually give ds (who's 3 1/2) about 2 eggs a day. He eats 1 1/2 eggs for breakfast, and I throw in a raw egg yolk in his smoothie.