or Connect

Posts by Mommay

: I almost forgot about that issue. One of the only gm foods to be studied in any depth is soy, and it was found to be deadly to unborn fetuses in rats (let's ignore the fact of animal testing for the moment): http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/news/..._newborns.html
I think it's hard to be aware of, much less follow, our cues these days. Commercials and ads were designed expressly to create a need/desire that was not there before. And with so many choices and bounty out there, it is a vastly different world than the world our paleo ancestors lived in. We almost have to live unnaturally (at least unconventionally) in order to eat, well, naturally. And sometimes, you just have to do what the Romans do. But it helps that I don't have a...
Thanks oh the irony. Do they have a forum too? I do go to that site for general instructions, but maybe I should go to their forums too. But it sounds like maybe I'm doing alright and that henna is not going to be equivalent to the chemical dyes I was using. My, my, my how much hard work is vanity.
That's interesting WC hapamama. I never heard that one before. Anglyn, there's been many threads about soy. You'll find people falling on either side of the debate. Maybe you could try a search. I, myself, avoid all soy that is not fermented. I'm korean, and grew up with a healthy amount of soy, so that was a difficult decision. I still have tofu once in a while as a treat, but I don't give it to my 3 yo son. Soy is used as a hormone replacement therapy for menopausal...
This is an interesting thread. I agree with people who believe we should eat on cue as much as possible. I've also been giving "restricted diets" a lot of thought as well. I think paleo people ate on cue, but if anything, ate too little rather than too much. They foraged or hunted when the need arose, and then they might have gotten lucky, or they may have had to do without. I wouldn't do a restricted diet for a child, but I don't think that ignoring hunger pangs once in a...
Thanks Gale Force. Will do. Here's another link to a discussion that's been on the main board in the past week or two about flax v. fish oil and the nature of omega 3's. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=599973
Gale Force, I remember asking a question on the Nutrition Board about algae as a source of DHA. The answer I got back was that it was not a significant source. Do you have any links or resources you can share about that? Thanks. Here's a sickeningly long thread about breastfeeding and nutrition, including both the NT and Vegan views, and everything in between. It goes into great depths about fats and breastfeeding. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=343188
Mine does that too. I don't know what it is. I thought it was because of the "natural" detergents I was using, but others claimed to use the same brands, but no cloudiness. I still get cloudy dishes, even on plastic sometimes. But I do put vinegar in the "jet dry" compartment, and I hand wash all of my metals (stainless steel mostly, though I leave in the cutlery). That seems to help. I hope others have more advice. I'd love to take care of the problem.
Quote: Originally Posted by chicharronita Yum! I love Korean food! I love how there's so many different little dishes of things. I wish I could eat like that every day. I don't know what I would eat if I couldn't fall back on rice and "banchan". It's so easy imo. Gather whatever leftover veggie, meat, etc. and form it into a side dish. But people eat in terms of familiar habits, which is true of me. The other day, I went to the korean store,...
I've used henna a total of 3 times. I am satisfied enough with the results to continue with it, but the results are so light, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. The grays are a very light red. You can tell it's gray underneath. I use a mixture of body quality henna and what I thought to be a quality henna/indigo mix from a company called, 'Light Mountain'. I mix 5 tablespoons of henna with 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup water. I let sit for over 12 hours, and...