or Connect

Posts by AnnaBees Mama

Hi!   A group of us in the Omaha-Lincoln area are hoping to found Nebraska's first Sudbury school.   The Sudbury model functions by a direct democracy where all individuals, adults and children, are recognized as equal persons, and each person is 1 vote. The entire community is responsible for the decisions that run the school, including which adults to hire on staff, how to spend the school's funds, creating rules, and exacting justice by due process.    The Sudbury...
Hi!   A group of us in the Omaha-Lincoln area are hoping to found Nebraska's first Sudbury school.   The Sudbury model functions by a direct democracy where all individuals, adults and children, are recognized as equal persons, and each person is 1 vote. The entire community is responsible for the decisions that run the school, including which adults to hire on staff, how to spend the school's funds, creating rules, and exacting justice by due process.    The Sudbury...
Oh! I need to update!   My friend brought it up in December totally out of the blue! We had a good conversation where we shared what we know, and we recommended the Penn and Teller Bullshit video and The Vulnerability of Men.   She still wasn't sure what their decision will be when the conversation ended--- her husband was very adamant about circ'ing; but a seed has been planted and nurtured! I am SO proud of her being open to challenging her POV.
Oh, skycheat-- I absolutely agree ever kid comes with an issue. Sleep is absolutely hers! Otherwise, parenting her is very pleasant and "easy"
The 3:30-4:30 wake up I was anticipating turned into a 1:30 wake up. She only slept seven hours, so I tried to encourage her to lay down to finish her rest. She just bawled, and when she wasn't doing that she was restlessly flopping around slowly inching to the edge. She had a few sips of water, and a diaper change. She is UP up now. I. am. going. Insane. It is super hard to stay gentle and collected when this happens. I can manage fine on 4-5 hours of sleep, but 2, my...
skycheat, you make good point with screentime! I have not noticed a discernible difference directly from screentime late in the day, BUT, we do have much more Netflix recently while the house is in packing upheaval. Also, in our location the weather has been uncomfortably cold with bitter wind, which severely limits or excludes outside time most days AND we don't have readily-accessible green space for play. I KNOW the lack of fresh air and exercise contributes to her...
Yes we have tried and it doesn't work for her. For instance, we read/told stories and sang for an hour tonight in bed and she wasn't phased. It relaxed her, but no sleep.
I'm totally cool with her sleeping with us, it's *getting* her to sleep that has been the challenge. The crib was introduced only to help her fall asleep when falling asleep in the big bed was no longer working. For a time, that went swell because she had her own space to work out her wiggles however she needed without her getting out of bed.
My DD is 27mo. She has always been a challenge to put to sleep. Some weeks/months are fantastic, but most have required endurance and creativity beyond what I perceive to be par for infant/toddler sleep.   Our current setup:   She sleeps very part-time in her crib, which is in our room, and joins me in the big bed by morning if she isn't there already.   She is night-weaned.   She used to fall asleep reliably in her crib, but this winter she learned how...
My friend is in her first trimester with her 2nd child.   Her first was a boy (now 2.5yo). He had a NICU start, and was circ'd because the baby next him was intact and they saw what a hassle it was to clean him. (Yup. The hospital retracted, even these tiny NICU babes! horrified!) However, I'm thinking that experience merely was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm pretty sure Daddy is circ'd as well, so  the conventional nonsense arguments had to have factored...